Kellogg’s Survey Of Baseball Fans Reveals Depth Of Their Devotion
Kellogg Company Snack Brands Celebrate Dedicated Fans with “Never Miss a Game” Fan Stories Contest
BATTLE CREEK, Mich., July 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — A variety of Kellogg snacks, including Cheez-It Crackers® and Rice Krispies Treats®, are teaming up with Major League Baseball® and Hall-of-Famer Cal Ripken, Jr. to celebrate and reward baseball fans who never miss a game. To measure baseball fans’ dedication to the game, the company conducted a nationwide survey to learn the lengths fans will go to catch all of the action. The Kellogg’s Never Miss a Game Fan Stories contest, which runs through August, invites fans to share their #nevermissagame stories on social media for the opportunity to win baseball-themed prizes.
Measuring Baseball Fans’ Devotion
To show just how far fans will go to “Never Miss a Game,” Kellogg recently surveyed more than 1,000 baseball fans across America*. Results show that the passion for America’s Pastime runs deep, shapes priorities and even leads to some interesting behaviors.
Love of the Game
- Nearly half (47%) of fans have their team’s schedule on-hand at all times, or know it well…in fact nearly 3 in 10 report they know their team’s schedule better than their own commitments over the next eight weeks.
- If money were no object, fans would want to attend 33 games in person a season – as it is, they average six
- And they’re willing to overcome distance to get there…more than half have traveled more than four hours to see their team play.
- 47% have cancelled, missed or been late to a family event in order to watch their favorite team – a third have cancelled, missed or been late to work for the same reason.
- Nearly one third of fans would rearrange or cancel a date if it interfered with a big game.
- Another 53 percent have gone out of their way to watch on vacation and 43 percent have watched at work.
It Might Sound Strange, But…
- If you’ve ever listened to your game through poor reception on the radio just to catch the action, you’re not alone: 38% of fans engage in this kind of “static cling.”
- More than 1/3 of fans under 34 have petitioned a bartender or restaurant owner to see if they’ll play their teams’ games regularly.
- More than one in 10 fans have gone out of their way to watch a game while at a wedding.
- Individual survey respondents reported every “never miss a game” tactic from ordering playoff tickets online while at church to attending a game while on a honeymoon.
What’s Your Story?
Between now and the end of August, fans who share their own Never Miss a Game stories on social media are eligible to win great MLB-themed prizes from Kellogg’s. Fans who share the lengths to which they’ve gone to cheer on their favorite team with #nevermissagame on Twitter and Facebook are eligible to win MLB and Kellogg snack brand prizes, including the grand prize which includes tickets and travel to a 2014 World Series game, plus an Opening Day game in 2015 and the 2015 MLB All-Star Game.**
“Baseball fans know how to savor the season,” said Melissa Pawlowicz, Senior Director of Snacks Promotion at Kellogg. “They don’t want to miss a moment of their favorite game and, often, our snack products help make game time even more special. We’re excited to salute and celebrate truly dedicated fans with this contest.”
Kellogg’s has partnered with legendary MLB shortstop Cal Ripken Jr., renowned for his astonishing record of 2,632 consecutive games played as a Major Leaguer, to encourage fans to share their stories.
“Kellogg’s fan survey says that, on average, fans’ longest consecutive games-watched streak is 25 in a row. It may not be quite as long as mine – but it’s a really impressive testament to their dedication,” said Cal Ripken, Jr. “I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s #nevermissagame stories.”
In addition to the “Never Miss a Game” Fan Stories contest, special Kellogg snack brands’ packaging will feature an image of Cal Ripken, Jr. These select products – including Cheez-It®, Town House® and Club® crackers; Nutri-Grain® cereal bars, Keebler Fudge Shoppe® and Simply Made® cookies; FruitFlavored Snacks® and more – also bear product codes redeemable for items through the Kellogg’s Family Rewards program (KelloggsFamilyRewards.com). Special Never Miss a Game Online Instant Win prize packages include MLB® 2015 season tickets, flat screen HD TV’s with an MLB TV® subscription and tickets to 2015 regular season MLB® games. Kellogg is an official sponsor of Major League Baseball.
- Click to tweet: @KelloggsUS survey found 47% of baseball fans have cancelled, missed or been late to a family event to watch their team #nevermissagame
- Click to tweet: @KelloggsUS survey shows more than half of all baseball fans have traveled longer than four hours to see their team play #nevermissagame
About Kellogg Company
At Kellogg Company (NYSE: K), we are driven to enrich and delight the world through foods and brands that matter. With 2013 sales of $14.8 billion and more than 1,600 foods, Kellogg is the world’s leading cereal company; second largest producer of cookies, crackers and savory snacks; and a leading North American frozen foods company. Our brands – Kellogg’s®, Keebler®, Special K®, Pringles®, Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes®, Pop-Tarts®, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes®, Rice Krispies®, Kashi®, Cheez-It®, Eggo®, Mini-Wheats® and more – nourish families so they can flourish and thrive. Through our Breakfasts for Better Days® initiative, we’re providing 1 billion servings of cereal and snacks – more than half of which are breakfasts – to children and families in need around the world by the end of 2016. To learn more about Kellogg, visit www.kelloggcompany.com or follow us on Twitter @KelloggCompany.
About Major League Baseball Properties
The Major League Baseball Clubs formed Major League Baseball Properties (MLBP) in 1966 as the Clubs’ agent for marketing and trademark licensing and protection. Major League Baseball Properties is responsible for managing consumer licensing activities, developing national advertising campaigns, cultivating sponsorship opportunities with major consumer brands and corporations, growing the game and the business of baseball outside the United States and creating national marketing programs in conjunction with Clubs, broadcast rights holders and national sponsors. MLBP also operates a full-service video and audio production unit (Major League Baseball Productions), a publishing division and stock photo licensing agency, and manages logistics for the All-Star Game and World Series as well as all other special events. For more information on Major League Baseball, log on to www.MLB.com.
* The Kellogg’s Never Miss a Game Survey was conducted by Kelton Global between April 22nd and May 1st, 2014 among 1004 American baseball fans ages 18 and over (margin of error +/- 3.1%)
** KELLOGG’S™ MLB® Never Miss a Game Fan Stories Contest Abbreviated Rules
Begins at 12:00:00 AM (ET) on 6/26/14 and ends at 11:59:59 PM (ET) on 9/12/14. Last day to submit entries is 8/31/14. Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older. Void where prohibited. Subject to complete Official Rules at KelloggsNeverMissaGame.com. Sponsor: Kellogg Company, One Kellogg Square,Battle Creek, MI 49016.
®,™, © 2014 Kellogg NA Co. This Contest is not sponsored, produced or executed by any MLB Entity. Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights used with permission of the applicable MLB Entities. All rights reserved.
SOURCE Kellogg Company