|Puccini’s beloved romantic opera sparkles with irresistible wit, passion, and an outpouring of heartfelt melody. It centers on a charming group of young, spirited Bohemians living in the Latin Quarter of 19th-century Paris. One chance encounter kindles love between Mimì and Rodolfo. Another reunites Musetta and Marcello. Can love survive jealousy, illness, winter’s cold, and poverty?
· One of the most popular operas in the world | Because virtually everyone can relate to being (or having been) young, in love, full of hope, and broke
· For new opera goers | A perfect first-time opera for all ages with its youthfully impetuous mix of comedy and tragedy
· La bohème inspired the 1996 Tony-winning musical Rent | Money issues & lots of tissues
· Music that makes your heart soar | It feels invitingly familiar even if you’ve never heard it before
· Even if you have seen La bohème previously | You haven’t experienced this engaging production and vibrant, youthful cast at Lyric
· Outstanding international artists will draw you into their story | Maria Agresta is Mimì the seamstress, Michael Fabiano is the poet Rodolfo (Lyric debut), Danielle de Niese is the flirtatious yet practical Musetta, Zachary Nelson is the painter Marcello, Adrian Sâmpetrean is the philosopher Colline, Ricardo José Rivera (Lyric debut) is the musician Schaunard, and Jake Gardner is the landlord Benoit and Musetta’s gentleman companion Alcindoro
· Beautiful new coproduction of Lyric Opera of Chicago, London’s Royal Opera House-Covent Garden, and Teatro Real Madrid | Directed by Richard Jones, with stylized yet traditional designs by Stewart Laing (Lyric debut) and lighting by Mimi Jordan Sherin
· Eleven performances | October 6 – 20 and January 10 – 25 at the Lyric Opera House, 20 N. Wacker Drive, Chicago
· Earlier start time for weeknight performances | Please note that the new curtain time for performances Monday through Friday will be 7pm
· 2 hours and 15 minutes, including intermission | Enjoy exceptional entertainment in the beautiful surroundings of the Art-Deco theater and foyer
· Opening Night for Lyric’s 64th Season | Saturday, October 6: Doors open at 4:15pm, performance starts at 6:30pm — elegant arrivals on the red carpet for this festive occasion
· Sung in Italian | With projected English translations above the stage
· 60 members of the Lyric Opera Chorus and 21 members of the Chicago Children’s Choir portray the festive holiday crowds of Paris in Act II | Prepared by Michael Black, Lyric’s chorus master, and Josephine Lee, CCC’s artistic director
· 72 members of the Lyric Opera Orchestra in orchestra pit + 8 banda musicians onstage | led by Venezuelan-Swiss conductor Domingo Hindoyan in his Lyric debut
For more information and tickets, visit lyricopera.org/Boheme or call 312-827-5600.