The Players Theatre News www.theplayers.org
838 North Tamiami Trail • Sarasota, FL 34236 • 941.365.2494 Fax: 941.954.0282
January 9, 2015
CALLING ALL PLAYWRIGHTS!
“THE PLAYERS NEW PLAY FESTIVAL” NEW PLAY CONTEST
Sarasota, FL — The Players is proud to announce its acceptance of new plays for its 14th annual Players New Play Festival from now until May 1, 2015. A committee of judges will select five plays to be presented in a “Reader’s Theater” style during the week of July 20-25, 2015 at The Players, 838 North Tamiami Trail, Sarasota. One of the winning plays will be selected as “Best of Series” and will be produced at The Players Theatre in 2016.
- Entrant must be a resident of the Gulf Coast area (defined for this contest as extending from Tampa/Clearwater to Fort Myers) and over the age of 18.
- Full-length plays are preferred but one-acts will be considered.
- Maximum number of performers needed to produce the play is 8. Playwrights are asked to delineate if there are multiple roles that can be doubled.
- Manuscripts must be typed in 12 point font and bound, with playwrights’ biographies included. Scripts will not be returned.
- No evaluations will be rendered with any rejected entries.
- Author (and collaborator, if any) may submit only one script. Each additional script is $10.00. (The enclosed check should be made out to: The Players.)
- Play must not have had a prior production, although those work-shopped before non-paying audiences are acceptable.
- Published plays are not eligible.
- Entries that have been previously submitted to The Players are eligible, but only if the work has been substantially re-written.
- Musicals are not accepted.
- Submit one hard copy to: “The Players New Play Festival”, The Players, 838 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34236. A SECOND electronically transmitted copy needs to be emailed to [email protected]. The Players Theatre is not responsible for lost or misplaced plays.
- Postmark deadline is May 1, 2015. No submissions will be accepted past that date.
At least 5 entries will be presented in rehearsed readings at The Players from July 20-25, 2015. The 5 finalists will be announced via The Players website by June 5th, 2015.
- Playwright must be available to help arrange rehearsals and to attend reading.
- Winning entries will have a director assigned and will attend at least two rehearsals.
- Playwrights are responsible for supplying updated and corrected copies of their script to their director and cast.
- Plays not following the guidelines listed above or meeting the general requirements will be disqualified.
Auditions for roles in the reading series are Monday June 29th starting at 5:30pm. Audition time slots should be reserved by calling the theatre at 941-365-2494. A short one minute monologue should be prepared. Information about the plays and roles will be listed on the Players website: www.theplayers.org.
The Players Theatre
838 N. Tamiami Tr., Sarasota FL 34236, 941-365-2494, Fax: 941-954-0282
www.theplayers.org. Box Office: Mon-Sat, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and one hour prior to curtain time.
The Players Box Office is located on Tamiami Trail between 10th Street and Blvd. of the Arts.