The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee
Grants $300,000 to 21 Overseas Service Organizations
(Sarasota-Manatee) The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee’s Overseas Granting Committee recently granted $300,000 to 21 projects that met the Federation’s mission of providing for Jewish people in need overseas. The committee included committee co-chairs Nelle Miller and Steve Lewis; and Renee Crames, Beth Del Pico, Debbie Haspel, Lori Liner, Mark Lefton, Marlene Meyer, Martin Ross, and Merrill Wynne.
This work is at the core of the Federations mission,” says committee co-chair Nelle Miller. “I find it humbling and a huge honor to work with this dedicated committee on such a major initiative. We really can make a difference, one life at a time. For me, thats what this is all about!
The following organizations and programs were awarded grants totaling $300,000:
· Yad Ezra V’Shulamit (Weekly food distribution for families in need.)
· The Jewish Agency for Israel (Springboard to civilian life for lone immigrant soldiers.)
· American Friends of Leket Israel (Toward purchase of food distribution truck.)
· American Friends of Leket Israel (Food services for needy.)
· The Jewish Agency for Israel (Providing student volunteers to Holocaust survivors in need of companionship.)
· The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (Providing material relief for elderly Jews in the Former Soviet Union.)
· NATAL-Israel Trauma Center for Victims of Terror and War
· ZAKA Search and Rescue (Toward purchase of emergency equipment for rescue volunteers in Jerusalem.)
· The Jewish Agency for Israel (Youth Futures in Sderot serves approximately 130 children and their families in need of mediated intervention.)
· Orr Shalom (Toward a safety net program for children and youth at risk.)
· Chaverim, Israel Family Services, Inc. (Free pharmacy program.)
· Mote Marine Laboratory, Inc. (Postdoctoral research fellowship in the Negev.)
· The Jaffa Institute (Providing food packages to impoverished elderly citizens in the Jaffa region.)
· The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (Employment assistance for Israelis with disabilities.)
· Hand in Hand School (Providing funds for expansion of school in Tel Aviv/ Jaffa region.)
· Hand in Hand School (Providing funds for expansion of school in Galilee region.)
· Hand in Hand School (Providing funds to publicize school’s mission to wider audience.)
· Yad Sarah (Medical equipment for free loan across Israel.)
· Jerusalem College of Technology (Providing scholarship funds for students of Ethiopian origin.)
· Yashar LaChayal (Providing personal goods for soldiers suffering from financial difficulties.)
· The Jewish Agency for Israel (Victims of Terror Fund)
For more information about The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee’s Overseas Granting Committee, contact Jeremy Lisitza at [email protected] or 941-343-2113.
About The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee
The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen Jewish life and identity in the Sarasota-Manatee community, provide for Jewish people in need, and to promote support for Israel. In addition, the Federation is responsive when worldwide catastrophes occur. For more information, call 941-371-4546 or visit www.jfedsrq.org.