Saturday, May 16, 2015 l Game # 36
Classic Park l Eastlake,Ohio l 6:30 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Dayton Dragons (19-16) at Lake County Captains (19-16)
LH Seth Varner (4-1, 2.31) vs. RH Jordan Milbrath (1-4, 6.91)
Click here for the entire Press Box Notes packet.
Today’s Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lake County Captains (affiliate of the Cleveland Indians) in the second game of a three-game series.
Streaks: Dayton is 13-7 over the last 20. Lake County has won seven of the last eight. Dragons-Captains Season Series: Dragons lead, 1-0.
Today’s Dragons Starting Pitcher: Seth Varner earned the win in his last start at Great Lakes on Monday (7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO). He has allowed only one walk this season in 35 innings with 39 strikeouts. Varner was drafted by the Reds in the 10th round in 2014 out of Miami (Ohio) University. He earned the Mid American Conference Pitcher of the Year award in 2014, going 7-3 with a 2.85 ERA. Varner pitched at Billings in his first pro season, appearing in 13 games with one start. Varner was 4-3, 4.91 at Billings. He is a native of the Southwest Ohio town of Batavia and was named Cincinnati Enquirer Division II Player of the Year as a senior at Clermont Northeastern High School.
- Luis Gonzalez has a 10-game hitting streak (team high for 2015). He is batting .357 over the streak, raising his average from .216 to .262.
- Brian O’Grady has a nine-game hitting streak and has hit safely in 13 of his last 14 games. He is batting .314 over the 14 games.
- Ty Washington is batting .356 over his last 14 games with a home run, four doubles, two triples, and 10 RBI, raising his average to .304.
- Jonathan Reynoso is batting .326 over his last 12 games.
- Garrett Boulware is batting .316 over his last 12 games with two home runs and 10 RBI.
- Seth Varner has issued one walk this season in 35 innings.
- Brian Hunter has allowed just one earned run this season (12 G, 15.2 IP, 3 R, 1 ER, 4 saves, 3 wins, 0.57 ERA).
- Jermey Kivel over his last eight outings: 10.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 8 BB, 17 SO.
- Brennan Bernardino over his last five outings: 6.2 IP, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 SO.
- Four of the five Dragons starting pitchers have ERAs under 2.70 (Antone: 2.25; Varner: 2.31; Strahan: 2.41; Armstrong: 2.65).
- The Dragons are 13-7 their last 20 games. During the 20 games, they are batting .251 (169 for 674) and averaging 4.4 runs/game (87 R) with a team ERA of 2.28 (181.2 IP, 46 ER). They have committed 27 errors.
- Dragons relievers over the last 8 G: 29.2 IP, 2 ER, 0.61 ERA.
- The Dragons are 14-5 when allowing no unearned runs; 4-4 when allowing one unearned run; 1-7 when allowing two or more unearned runs.
- Over the last 11 games, Dragons pitchers have posted a Team ERA of 1.68 (101.2 IP, 19 ER).
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Sunday, May 17 (1:30 p.m.): Dayton RH Mark Armstrong (1-1, 2.65) at Lake County LH Sean Brady (3-2, 2.73)
Monday, May 18 (7:00 p.m.): Great Lakes RH Kevin Guzman (1-3, 3.38) at Dayton RH Tyler Mahle (2-3, 3.86)
Tuesday, May 19 (7:00 p.m.): Great Lakes RH Brock Stewart (2-2, 2.84) at Dayton RH Wyatt Strahan (3-2, 2.41)
Wednesday, May 20 (7:00 p.m.): Great Lakes RH Grant Holmes (2-0, 3.58) at Dayton RH Tejay Antone (3-2, 2.25)
Thursday, May 21 (7:07 p.m.): Great Lakes RH Travis Oaks at Dayton LH Seth Varner