AXS TV AND STEVE HARVEY PARTNER TO PRESENT A SPECIAL BLACK MUSIC MONTH DOCUMENTARY SERIES
AWARD-WINNING ENTERTAINER STEVE HARVEY HOSTS A SELECTION OF ACCLAIMED MUSIC DOCUMENTARIES EVERY WEDNESDAY IN JUNE, STARTING AT 9 P.M. ET/6 P.M. PT
Highlights Include ‘Beats, Rhymes And Life: The Travels Of A Tribe Called Quest’; Antoine Fuqua’s ‘Lightning In A Bottle’; the Mick Jagger-Produced ‘Mr. Dynamite: The Rise Of James Brown’; ‘Streetlight Harmonies’; and ‘The Sax Man’
During the Month, AXS TV NOW, the AXS.TV Website & App will also Present a Collection of Concerts, Interviews, Profiles & More Featuring Kanye West, Dionne Warwick, Beyoncé, Anderson. Paak, Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye & The Black Eyed Peas, Among Others
Steve Harvey – Credit: Renee Silverman/AXS TV
LOS ANGELES (May 19, 2022) – AXS TV and award-winning entertainer and Anthem Sports & Entertainment (parent company of AXS TV) investor Steve Harvey join forces for a special Black Music Month series. Steve Harvey will serve as host for this landmark event, presenting five acclaimed music documentaries every Wednesday in June starting at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.
Beginning June 1, the Black Music Month series will feature the influential artists who left a definitive mark not only across blues, hip-hop, doo-wop and more, but on the culture as a whole. Boasting exclusive interstitial content, the series finds Harvey providing an introduction and commentary for each film, as well as his own priceless personal anecdotes. Additionally, each presentation features insightful facts and trivia that are sure to give viewers something to consider as they enjoy the week’s showcase.
“I’m honored to be a part of Black Music Month, shining a well-deserved light on the many talented African-American men and women who have defined music for millions of listeners worldwide,” said Steve Harvey. “Many of these artists mean so much to me on a personal level — whether it’s the great B.B. King and James Brown, two of my all-time favorite artists, or the legendary Sax Man from my hometown Cleveland, Ohio. It was a joy to discuss each one of them and the lasting impacts they have made on both music and culture. I hope that the Black Music Month series will help spark a love and appreciation for these talents and the genres they pioneered for the next generation of music lovers.”
“Steve Harvey is an incredible partner and strategic advisor with an encyclopedic knowledge of music, and he is the perfect host to bring to life our Black Music Month documentary series,” said Leonard Asper, CEO, Anthem Sports & Entertainment. “This event further emphasizes our efforts to deliver compelling, targeted content and experiences to our audiences. Steve Harvey’s enthusiasm and insight add a personal touch to each week’s showcase, allowing viewers to connect with and consider these transformational artists like never before. We are so proud to partner with him as we celebrate Black Music Month.”
AXS TV’s Black Music Month Programming Lineup includes:
- June 1 – Beats, Rhymes And Life: The Travels Of A Tribe Called Quest: This film is an in-depth exploration into the dynamic New York collective whose innovative sound shook the hip-hop scene, featuring interviews with members Phife Dawg, Ali Muhammad, and Q-Tip, as well as fellow genre trailblazers such as Kanye West; Beastie Boys Ad-Rock, MCA and Mike D; and Ludacris, Mary J. Blige, and Pharrell Williams, among others. The film is directed by Michael Rapaport.
- June 8 – Lightning In A Bottle: A one-of-a-kind concert event celebrating 100 years of the blues from its enduring roots to the countless styles it helped birth, fueled by performances from B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Mavis Staples, Chuck D, and Aerosmith. The film is executive produced by Martin Scorsese and directed by Antoine Fuqua.
- June 15 – Mr. Dynamite: The Rise Of James Brown: Oscar®-winning filmmaker Alex Gibney details the legacy of the Godfather Of Soul in this Mick Jagger-produced film.
- June 22 – Streetlight Harmonies: A long-overdue look at doo-wop and the unheralded artists who brought it to life, featuring sit-downs with Jay And The Americans, Beach Boys founders Al Jardine and Brian Wilson, R&B mainstay Brian McKnight, and more.
- June 29 – The Sax Man: The inspiring story of Maurice Reedus Jr.’s quest for one last shot at redemption, shedding new light on the beloved busker whose fall from stardom turned him into a famous fixture on the streets of Cleveland where he would forever be known as The Sax Man.
As part of the Black Music Month festivities, the AXS TV NOW digital streaming channel will showcase a weekend marathon featuring a diverse lineup of music trailblazers from across the entertainment spectrum—airing Saturday, June 4 through Sunday, June 5 starting at 6 a.m. ET. The complete AXS TV NOW Black Music Month schedule is as follows:
AXS TV NOW Black Music Month Marathon
Saturday, June 4
- 6aE, 2pE & 10pE – Kanye: A Higher Power
- 7:30aE, 3:30pE & 11:30pE – Rock Legends: Al Green
- 8aE, 4pE & 12aE – Rock Legends: Diana Ross & The Supremes
- 8:30aE, 4:30pE & 12:30aE – Rock Legends: Little Richard
- 9aE, 5pE & 1aE – Rock Legends: Marvin Gaye
- 9:30aE, 5:30pE & 1:30aE – Rock Legends: Black Eyed Peas
- 10:30aE & 6:30pE – De La Soul: Live At Garorock
- 12pE & 8pE – Anderson .Paak: Live At Les Eurockeennes
- 1:30pE & 9:30pE – Rock Legends: Run DMC
Sunday, June 5
- 6aE, 2pE & 10pE – Pharrell Williams: Happy Go Lucky
- 7:30aE, 3:30pE & 11:30pE – Nicki Minaj: Pink Planet
- 9aE, 5pE & 1aE – Beyoncé: On Top
- 10:30aE & 6:30pE – Rock Legends: Tina Turner
- 11:30aE & 7:30pE – Tina Turner: Live In Barcelona
The AXS.TV website and App will also feature the online-exclusive “Black Women Who Transformed Music” collection—a curated selection of insightful sit-downs, artist profiles, and powerhouse performances featuring Tina Turner: Live In Barcelona, At Home And Social: Dionne Warwick, The Big Interview with Patti LaBelle, and more. Also airing this June on AXS.TV, the AXS TV App and the official AXS TV YouTube Channel, viewers can enjoy a trio of all-new At Home And Social exclusives with soul standout Macy Gray, Chic co-founder Nile Rodgers and Run-DMC’s Darryl McDaniels, hosted by Katie Daryl.
The complete “Black Women Who Transformed Music” collection is as follows:
AXS.TV Online-Exclusive “Black Women Who Transformed Music” Collection
- Tina Turner: Live In Barcelona
- Rock Legends: Aretha Franklin
- Rock Legends: Diana Ross & The Supremes
- The Big Interview With Dan Rather: Patti LaBelle
- Rock Legends: Tina Turner
- The Day The Rock Star Died: Whitney Houston
- At Home And Social: Dionne Warwick
- At Home And Social: Macy Gray
AXS TV’s special Black Music Month event seeks to build on the success of the Network’s other acclaimed series, such as Music’s Greatest Mysteries and If These Walls Could Rock—both of which received recent Daytime EMMY® Award nominations; as well as "Into the Spotlight: True Stories of Music’s Unsung Heroes" – a multi-week documentary film event which showcased stories of the people behind the stars, including Twenty Feet From Stardom, The Wrecking Crew, Sound City and Muscle Shoals.
About AXS TV
AXS TV is a leading multi-platform music, entertainment, and lifestyle digital platform and television company owned and operated by Anthem Sports & Entertainment Inc. AXS TV’s broad library is curated to appeal to diverse and passionate fanbases across the entertainment spectrum, offering eclectic content headlined by premiere concerts and music-inspired programming, as well as exclusive celebrity interviews, acclaimed documentaries, world-class professional wrestling, hard-hitting MMA bouts, star-studded special events, and immersive pop culture series. AXS TV’s signature programs include the investigative series Music’s Greatest Mysteries; fan-favorite countdown series The Top Ten Revealed; the in-depth profile A Year in Music; and the intimate artist interview series At Home And Social. The channel is also the home of global combat sport staples IMPACT Wrestling, New Japan Pro-Wrestling and Invicta Fighting Championships. AXS TV is available nationally in the United States, and parts of Canada and the Caribbean. Additionally, AXS TV’s digital programming can be enjoyed on several different platforms including the AXS.TV website and the Network’s digital streaming channel AXS TV NOW, as well as via the AXS TV App, and on the Network’s official YouTube channel, Facebook and Instagram pages, and Twitter profile. For a full list of providers and territories, please visit axs.tv/subscribe.
About Steve Harvey
Steve Harvey is an award-winning entertainer, radio personality, motivational speaker, New York Times best-selling author, businessman, and philanthropist. For over two decades, Harvey has hosted and acted in numerous television series across multiple networks, including the latest, Judge Steve Harvey, which he created and produced under his production company, East 112.
Harvey has received 6 Daytime Emmys and 10 NAACP Image Awards for hosting the long-running series “Family Feud” which eventually led to the spinoff “Celebrity Family Feud.” Harvey continues to serve as the host of the nationally syndicated radio show, “The Steve Harvey Morning Show,” which has consistently ranked as the most listened-to morning show in America.
As an innovative business leader, Harvey established Steve Harvey Global (SHG), to unite his various businesses under one roof and one vision. Reflective of his personal brand, SHG creates and delivers entertaining, motivational content, products and experiences to audiences everywhere. The platform has propelled many of today’s emerging technology and entertainment companies. SHG also invests in global ventures focused on technology, education, and entertainment. As a values-based investor, SHG strives to enhance communities and individual lives through its investments and partnerships rooted in a disciplined approach focused on generating results. As an active humanitarian and philanthropist, Harvey and his wife, Marjorie, founded The Steve and Marjorie Harvey Foundation in 2010, which helps under-resourced communities receive the tools for success. The Foundation reaches over 1,000 youth and families annually through programming and outreach services. For more about Harvey, visit www.steveharvey.com.
# # #