Lemon Bay Fest returns in February for 13th year of fun
Spread throughout South Sarasota County and Charlotte County, Lemon Bay Fest combines, tours, lectures and fun activities to celebrate not only Englewood’s past, but the unique history of Florida.
Highlights of Lemon Bay Fest include:
- Fringe Florida; The Unusual Subcultures of the Sunshine State: Sponsored by the Florida Humanities Council, author and journalist Lynn Waddell takes audiences inside some of the state’s most eclectic and daring worlds.
- Cracker; The Last Cowboys of Florida: This film explores the cowboys who have ridden the central plains of Florida for over 250 years.
- Scent of Scandal: Investigative Journalist Craig Pittman unravels the tangled web of smugglers, scientists and federal investigators to reveal the real criminals involved in the theft of a rare orchid from Sarasota Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.
- Women of early Englewood: Betty Nugent from the Southwest Historical Organization of Resources and Education (SHORE) will discuss the history of Englewood.
- Fishing Industry in Englewood and SW Florida: Bart Tracy discusses the effects that the fishing industry has had on Englewood and Southwest Florida.
- Cracker Fair: Festivities for the whole family, including kid’s games, crafts, food vendors, artists, music and more.
Elsie Quirk Librarian Erin Thayer feels Lemon Bay Fest is a great opportunity to experience some of the best things that Southwest Florida has to offer, and she encourages everyone to take part in as many of the events as possible.
“There’s so much to explore and learn at Lemon Bay Fest, and it’s fun for the whole family because there’s truly something for everyone,” Thayer said, adding. ” Lemon Bay Fest is Englewood history with zest!”
Lemon Bay Fest runs Feb. 7-14, at multiple locations in Sarasota and Charlotte Counties. A majority of the events are free, but for a full list of events, dates, times, locations and pricing information visit www.lemonbayfest.com. For additional information call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.