JAMES FRANCO CHRIS O’DOWD
Of Mice and Men
RELEASED THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 6
IN OVER 700 CINEMA VENUES ACROSS THE UNITED STATES & CANADA
BROADWAY PRODUCTION TO BE SEEN AS PART OF
LONDON’S NATIONAL THEATRE LIVE
TICKETS NOW ON SALE
LEIGHTON MEESTER JIM NORTON
ANNA D. SHAPIRO
The critically-acclaimed Broadway revival of John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men directed by Tony Award winner Anna D. Shapiro, starring Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner James Franco, BAFTA and Tony Award nominee Chris O’Dowd, Leighton Meester and Tony and Olivier Award winner Jim Norton, filmed at Broadway’s Longacre Theatre in front of a live audience by National Theatre Live, will be screened in over 700 cinema venues across the United States and Canada on Thursday, November 6, 2014, and varying dates. Distributed through BY Experience and Fathom Events, tickets for National Theatre Live’s November 6, Of Mice and Men screening are now on sale. For tickets and screening locations please visit www.ntlive.com. Check NT Live listings for encore screening dates and locations.
Nominated for two 2014 Tony Awards the production shattered the house record at the Longacre Theatre multiple times during its limited 19 week engagement, grossing over a million dollars in its final week. This was the first time any show grossed $1 million in one week at the Longacre Theatre. Of Mice and Men was the first “hit” of the spring 2014 Broadway season, recouping its $3.8 million capitalization in only 12 weeks. Of Mice and Men opened on Wednesday, April 16, and played its final performance Sunday, July 27, 2014.
Of Mice and Men is one of the most read books in schools across the country despite appearing on the American Library Association’s list of Most Challenged Books of the 21st Century
Of Mice and Men began as a novella published in 1937 by Nobel Prize winning author John Steinbeck.
Adapted from his own classic novel, John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men is an essential adventure, an inspirational portrait of the American spirit and a heartbreaking testament to the bonds of friendship.
Of Mice and Men tells the story of George (James Franco) and Lennie (Chris O’Dowd), an unlikely pair of friends drifting from job to job across the farms and fields of California, holding fast to their dream of one day having an acre of land they can call their own.
Of Mice and Men features Ron Cephas Jones, Alex Morf, Joel Marsh Garland, James McMenamin, Jim Ortlieb and Jim Parrack.
The creative team for Of Mice and Men includes scenic design by Tony Award winner Todd Rosenthal, costume design by the international, Emmy Award-winning designer of the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony, Suttirat Larlarb, lighting design by 2014 Tony Award nominee Japhy Weideman, sound design by Rob Milburn & Michael Bodeen, original music by David Singer, fight direction by Thomas Schall, hair & wig design by Charles G. LaPointe and casting by Calleri Casting.
Of Mice and Men on Broadway is produced by David Binder, Kate Lear, Darren Bagert, Adam Zotovich, Latitude Link/Piedmont Productions, Raise the Roof, Paula Marie Black, Marc Turtletaub, Ruth Hendel/Barbara Whitman, Marianne Mills/Jayne Baron Sherman, Martin Massman, Judy Kent/Wendy Knudsen, Kevin Niu, Michael Watt and The Shubert Organization. 101 Productions, Ltd is the executive producer.
National Theatre Live events are distributed worldwide outside the U.K. through New York-based BY Experience, pioneers of global live “alternative content” digital cinema events. For more information visitwww.byexperience.net
Production photos for Of Mice and Men available at:
Password: Polkpr (Case Sensitive)
About NATIONAL THEATRE LIVE
Now celebrating its 6th year broadcasting live performances to cinema screens internationally, National Theatre Live has now been experienced by over 3 million people worldwide. The first season began in June 2009 with the acclaimed production of Phédre starring Helen Mirren. Recent broadcasts have included the award-winning original West End production of War Horse, NT’s 50th anniversary celebration Live from the National Theatre: 50 Years on Stage, Adrian Lester and Rory Kinnear in Shakespeare’s Othello, and from outside the National Theatre, Tom Hiddleston in the Donmar Warehouse production of Coriolanus, Shakespeare’s Macbeth with Kenneth Branagh and Alex Kingston from the Manchester International Festival, and the record-breaking and award winning West End production of The Audience starring Helen Mirren as The Queen.
ALL UPCOMING NATIONAL THEATRE LIVE BROADCASTS
SKYLIGHT by David Hare
- Starring Academy Award nominee Carey Mulligan, Golden Globe Award winner Bill Nighy and Matthew Beard
- Directed by Stephen Daldry
- Broadcast to cinemas internationally on Thursday, October 23, 2014 (with many encore dates in U.S. cities). Venues announced soon.
- Summary: On a bitterly cold London evening, schoolteacher Kyra Hollis (Mulligan) receives an unexpected visit from her former lover, Tom Sergeant (Nighy), a successful and charismatic restaurateur whose wife has recently died. As the evening progresses, the two attempt to rekindle their once passionate relationship only to find themselves locked in a dangerous battle of opposing ideologies and mutual desires.
FRANKENSTEIN a play by Nick Dear based on Mary Shelley’s novel ***Special Return Encore***
- Starring Olivier Award winners Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller
- Directed by Academy Award-winner Danny Boyle
- Broadcast to cinemas internationally on October 27 & 29, 2014 (with many encore dates in U.S. cities). Venues announced soon.
- Summary: The production was a sell-out hit at the National Theatre in 2011, and the broadcast has since become an international sensation, experienced by almost half a million people in cinemas around the world. In this new adaptation, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller alternated in the roles of Victor Frankenstein and the Creature. National Theatre Live filmed FRANKENSTEIN twice so audiences could experience Cumberbatch and Miller in each role.
OF MICE & MEN by John Steinbeck
- Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner James Franco, BAFTA and Tony Award nominee Chris O’Dowd, Leighton Meester and Tony and Olivier Award winner Jim Norton, and directed by Tony Award winner Anna D. Shapiro
- Broadcast to cinemas internationally on Thursday, November 6, 2014 (with many encore dates in U.S. cities). Venues announced soon.Of Mice and Men was the first Broadway show filmed by National Theatre Live.
- Summary: Adapted from his own classic novel, John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men is an essential adventure, an inspirational portrait of the American spirit and a heartbreaking testament to the bonds of friendship. Of Mice and Men tells the story of George (James Franco) and Lennie (Chris O’Dowd), an unlikely pair of friends drifting from job to job across the farms and fields of California, holding fast to their dream of one day having an acre of land they can call their own.
JOHN by Lloyd Newson
- Conceived and Directed by Lloyd Newson
- Broadcast to cinemas internationally on Tuesday, December 9, 2014 (with many encore dates in U.S. cities). The production opens at the National’s Lyttelton Theatre on October 30, 2014.
- Summary: JOHN is a new verbatim dance-theatre work conceived and directed by Lloyd Newson, Artistic Director of DV8 Physical Theatre. Newson interviewed more than 50 men, asking them frank questions initially about love and sex. One of those men was John. What emerged was a story that is both extraordinary and touching. Years of crime, drug use and struggling to survive lead John on a search in which his life converges with others, in an unexpected place, unknown by most. JOHN authentically depicts real-life stories, combining movement and spoken word. Please note: JOHN contains adult themes, strong language and nudity. Suitable for ages 18 years +.
TREASURE ISLAND by Robert Louis Stevenson with a new adaptation by Bryony Lavery
- Directed by Polly Findlay
- Broadcast to cinemas internationally on Thursday, January 22, 2015 (with many encore dates in U.S. cities).
- Summary: It’s a dark, stormy night. The stars are out. Jim, the inn-keeper’s granddaughter, opens the door to a terrifying stranger. At the old sailor’s feet sits a huge sea-chest, full of secrets. Jim invites him in – and her dangerous voyage begins. Please note: TREASURE ISLAND is suitable for ages 10 years +.
Encore screenings are now ongoing for some of National Theatre Live’s most acclaimed recent productions. Encore dates and cinema locations are added frequently. Current encores running in the US include:
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – the Olivier Award winning theatrical adaptation of Mark Haddon’s award-winning novel
- King Lear – starring Simon Russell Beale; directed by Sam Mendes
- Medea by Euripides in a new version Ben Power and starring Olivier Award nominee Helen McCrory
- A Small Family Business – by Alan Ayckbourn
- War Horse – the award-winning original West End production