New FEMA floodplain map workshops starting Jan. 20
SARASOTA COUNTY – In anticipation of new floodplain mapping, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is hosting three open houses this month at three separate locations in Sarasota County.
More than 40,000 parcels will be moving into or out of high-risk flood zones throughout the county when the changes take effect in early 2016, according to data released by FEMA, and all property owners are urged to check the flood zone status of their properties.
According to FEMA officials, these new flood maps will help property owners better understand their current flood risk in order to make more informed financial decisions about protecting themselves and their property, and how these changes may impact construction and insurance costs.
FEMA representatives will be on hand at all thee open house to provide information and one-on-one conversations with property owners. Registration is not required to attend the open houses. Scheduled locations and times include:
- Tuesday, Jan. 20, 4-7 p.m., Sarasota Community Bayfront Center, 803 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota.
- Wednesday, Jan. 21, 4-7 p.m., Venice Community Center, 326 Nokomis Ave., Venice.
- Thursday, Jan. 22, 4-7 p.m., Morgan Family Community Center, 6207 W. Price Blvd., North Port.
Additional workshops, which will be hosted by Sarasota County and the City of Sarasota, are scheduled for the following dates and locations:
- Tuesday, Feb. 24, 4-7 p.m., Sarasota Bayfront Center, 803, N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota.
- Wednesday, March 4, 4-7 p.m., Venice Community Center, 326 Nokomis Ave., Venice.
- April workshops in North Port and Englewood have not yet been scheduled.
For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000, or visit www.scgov.net/FloodMaps.