Sunday, May 24, 2015 l Game # 44
Fifth Third Ballpark l Comstock Park, Mich. l 1:00 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Dayton Dragons (23-20) at West Michigan Whitecaps (21-22)
RH Tyler Mahle (3-3, 3.28) vs. RH Ross Seaton (5-1, 2.72)
Click here for the entire Press Box Notes packet.
Today’s Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the West Michigan Whitecaps (affiliate of the Detroit Tigers) in the third game of a four-game series.
Last Game: Dayton 14, West Michigan 1. The Dragons exploded for 10 runs in the fifth inning. They established season highs for runs in a game, runs in an inning, hits in a game (15), hits in an inning (7), and margin of victory. The 10-run inning was one short of a club record (most recent: 2007).
Today’s Dragons Starting Pitcher: Wyatt Strahan is a 22-year-old native of Villa Park, California. Strahan was the Reds third round draft pick in 2014 out of the University of Southern California. He was rated as the #23 prospect in the Reds organization and #8 prospect in the Pioneer League by Baseball America after the 2014 season. Last Start: Tuesday vs. Great Lakes: Win, 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO). Notable: Left-handed batters are hitting .185 against Strahan while right-handed hitters are at .291.
- Brian O’Grady has a 16-game hitting streak, the longest active hitting streak in the Midwest League and tied for the fourth longest in Dragons history. He is batting .322 over the hitting streak (19 for 59). He has hit safely in 20 of his last 21 games, batting .342 over the 21 games to raise his average from .172 to .264.
- Luis Gonzalez has hit safely in 17 of his last 18 games. He is batting .333 over his last 18 games, raising his average from .216 to .271.
- Garrett Boulware is batting .333 with three home runs over his last 15 games.
- Jake Paulson over his last four outings: 9.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 5 SO.
- The Dragons are 17-11 their last 28 games. During the 28 games, they are batting .255 (243 for 953) and averaging 4.6 runs/game (129 R) with a team ERA of 2.52 (253.1 IP, 71 ER). They have committed 35 errors in the 28 games.
- The Dragons lead the Midwest League in ERA in the month of May at 2.57. The Dragons are batting .255 as a team in May (.231 in April).
- The Dragons are 17-7 when allowing no unearned runs; 4-4 when allowing one unearned run; 2-9 when allowing two or more unearned runs.
- The Dragons are 13-3 this season when scoring the first run of the game. They are 17-3 when scoring at least four runs (8-0 at home).
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Sunday, May 24 (1:00 p.m.): Dayton RH Wyatt Strahan (4-2, 2.27) at West Michigan RH Jeff Thompson (1-4, 5.29)
Monday, May 25 (1:00 p.m.): Dayton RH Tejay Antone (3-3, 1.96) at West Michigan RH Spencer Turnbull (3-1, 3.21)