Saturday, June 13, 2015 l Game # 62
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Oho l 7:07 p.m.
TV: WHIO 7.2 (23, 372) l Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Beloit Snappers (25-36) at Dayton Dragons (31-30)
RH Brett Graves (6-0, 4.14) vs. LH Seth Varner (5-4, 3.51)
Click here for the full Dragons Press Box Notes
Click here for the full Dragons Press Box Stats
Today’s Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Beloit Snappers (affiliate of the Oakland Athletics) in the first game of a three-game series. This is game four of a six-game homestand for Dayton. Dragons-Snappers Season Series: First meeting.
The Race: The Dragons are in fifth place in the East Division. They are four games behind second place Bowling Green; and five games behind first place Lansing. The top two finishers qualify for playoffs in September. There are nine games to play in the first half race.
Last Game: Wisconsin 5, Dayton 3 (6 innings). Highlights: The game was shortened by rain…Brian O’Grady hit two home runs for the Dragons, the club’s first 2-homer game since Junior Arias in 2013…Tejay Antone pitched a complete game, allowing just two earned runs despite taking the loss.
Today’s Dragons Starting Pitcher: Seth Varner is a 23-year-old native of Batavia, Ohio (about 20 east of downtown Cincinnati). Varner was drafted by the Reds in the 10th round in 2014 out of Miami (Ohio) University. He earned the Mid American Conference Pitcher of the Year award in 2014, going 7-3 with a 2.85 ERA. He was named Cincinnati Enquirer Division II Player of the Year as a senior at Clermont Northeastern High School. Last Start: Last Sunday at Kane County: Loss, 4 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO. Notable: Varner has issued only five walks in 11 starts this season, and three of them came in one inning.
- Gavin LaValley has hit safely in 14 straight games, batting .426 over the hitting streak to raise his average from .212 to .267. He is batting .500 over his last eight games. During the 14-game hitting streak, he has 15 singles, seven doubles, one triple, and nine RBI.
- Jimmy Pickens is batting .344 over his last nine games.
- Ronald Bueno is batting .316 over his last nine games.
- Brennan Bernardino over his last 11 outings: 17.2 IP, 3 R, 0 ER, 6 BB, 15 SO. He has lowered his ERA to 1.17.
- The Dragons have lost five of their last six games. Opponents have averaged 7.2 runs/game and 12.7 hits/game during this stretch as the team ERA has risen from 2.79 to 3.09.
- The Dragons are 25-6 when scoring at least four runs (12-1 at home). They are 6-24 when scoring three or less.
- The Dragons are 24-4 when allowing three runs or less; 7-26 when allowing four runs or more.
- The Dragons are 9-0 at home this season when scoring the first run of the game.
- The Dragons are 21-9 when allowing no unearned runs; 6-5 when allowing one unearned run; 4-16 when allowing two or more unearned runs.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Sunday, June 14 (2:00 p.m.): Beloit RH Joey Wagman (2-0, 1.26) at Dayton RH Tyler Mahle (5-4, 3.00)
Monday, June 15 (7:00 p.m.): Beloit RH Heath Fillmyer (-0-6, 7.15) at Dayton RH Wyatt Strahan (4-4, 2.90)