(Beverly Hills, CA November 21) The 2017 ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop, in Partnership with DreamWorks Animation and The Wallis, is now accepting applications for the 2017 edition of the popular workshop series that gives selected composers and lyricists the opportunity to present selections from original musical works in progress for professional critique. The workshop will take place on February 1 & 2, 2017. It is the second time the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills will host this foremost theater event led by ASCAP Artistic Director Stephen Schwartz—the Tony, Oscar and Grammy Award-winning composer/lyricist whose credits include the Broadway smash Wicked, Godspell, Pippin, as well as the Walt Disney films Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the DreamWorks’ film The Prince of Egypt. The two-day program is composed of various workshop sessions featuring prominent guests from all aspects of musical theater including producers, directors, critics, performers and composers. The deadline to submit applications is December 1, 2016. Tickets to the workshop sessions will be available to the public and detailed ticket information is forthcoming.
“We are delighted to continue our partnerships with ASCAP and DreamWorks Animation and present the 2017 ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop for the second year in a row,” said The Wallis’ Artistic Director Paul Crewes. “We see the ASCAP workshop as an important contribution to the further development of new musical works which we are keen to support.”
Writers interested in applying for participation in The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop in Los Angeles should submit the following:
- CD of four (4) songs from your musical
- Lyric sheets for each of the four songs
- A brief description of each song as to its plot placement
- A brief synopsis of the musical
- Biographical information for each composer, lyricist and book writer
- Contact information (including e-mail address, phone number and mailing address)
Send your completed submission package to:
Michael A. Kerker
1900 Broadway, 7th Fl
New York, NY 10023
ATTN: ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop
Deadline: Submissions must be received in the ASCAP office by Thursday, December 1, 2016.
- Even though the workshop is held in Los Angeles, applications must be sent to the New York address listed above.
- Please submit four (4) songs only. If you send a full recording, ASCAP will only listen to the first four (4) songs.
- Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio as we are looking for talent and potential, not production value.
- If your musical is selected, you will need to present 50 consecutive minutes at the workshop. The 50-minute selection must include book and song.
- Those who have been accepted to present material in the workshop will be contacted by December 31, 2016.
- Those who will be invited to audit the workshop will receive an e-mail invitation.
- Please do not call to ask if you have been selected.
- Submissions will not be returned.
For further information about the ASCAP submission process, please call ASCAP at (212) 621-6234.
Information regarding public tickets to attend The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop on Feb 1 – 2, 2017 is forthcoming.
For more information about The Wallis, please visit: TheWallis.org.
For more information about ASCAP and ASCAP Foundation, visit www.ascap.com or www.ascapfoundation.org.
For more information about DreamWorks Animation, visit www.dreamworks.com.
For downloadable photos, please visit TheWallis.org/Press.
Like The Wallis on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.