Venice Theatre seeks performers for rock musical Hair to be directed by Tony Award winner Ben Vereen
(Venice, FL) Broadway, film and television legend Ben Vereen is seeking local performers to audition for Venice Theatre’s MainStage production of Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical. Vereen will be directing the production. Michelle Kasanofsky is the music director. Auditions will be held at the theatre located at 140 W. Tampa Ave. in Venice May 3-5, 2015 beginning at 6:30 p.m. with callbacks May 7-9, 2015. Rehearsals will begin Sept. 1, 2015. Performances will be Tuesdays through Sundays Nov. 10 – Dec. 12, 2015. Those auditioning must be 18 years of age by Sept. 1 and are asked to make an appointment with stage manager Lisa Million by calling 941-258-0704 or emailing lisammilli[email protected].
A product of the 1960’s peace movement, hippie counterculture and sexual revolution, Hair won the 1968 Tony Award and broke new ground in theatre by defining “rock musicals.” Book and lyrics are by James Rado and Gerome Ragni with music by Galt MacDermot. Musical numbers include Aquarius, Good Morning Starshine, I Believe in Love, Hair, I Got Life, What a Piece of Work Is Man and Hippie Life.
Vereen is looking for energetic, creative performers with heart and passion of all ethnicities from age 18 to 30 to play mid-teens to early 20s. He will also be casting one older male and one older female. Auditioners should prepare a 30-second monologue and 32 measures of a song (bring sheet music in the appropriate key for the accompanist) in the style of the show or from the show.
A breakdown of characters follows. All roles are open.
- GEORGE BERGER (Rock Baritone/Tenor) The leader of the tribe; high energy, athletic, wild
- CLAUDE (Rock Baritone/Tenor) Playful, yet a troubled and sensitive soul
- SHEILA (Rock Alto/Belter) NYU student and passionate protester; the most intelligent of the tribe; a strong voice and presence
- JEANIE (Alto) Wise, passionate, quirky, caring
- CRISSY (Mezzo) A young lovelorn flower child
- DIONNE (Soul/Rock Alto/Mezzo Belt) Energetic and fun, great with comedy
- HUD (Soul/Rock Baritone/Tenor) High energy, spiritual performer with a strong presence
- WOOF (Rock Baritone/Tenor) Loves life and Mother Earth; high energy, versatile comic performer
- MARGARET MEAD and HUBERT. Strong comic timing. Margaret sings “My Conviction.”
- THE TRIBE: This is not a typical musical chorus, as the entire cast is a true ensemble. Tribe members sing lead in many featured songs including Aquarius, Black Boys, White Boys, Walking in Space, Electric Blues, etc., and play many roles in the show including the principals, parents, historical figures, and more.
Venice Theatre’s mission is making a dramatic impact on all stages of life. The second-largest out of 10,000 community theatres in the United States, it is located at 140 W. Tampa Ave .on the island in Venice, FL. Its MainStage offers seating for 432 patrons and features musicals, plays, concerts and special events. Its Yvonne Pinkerton Theatre seats 90 patrons and is home to the theatre’s “Generations”, Stage II and Cabaret Series. In addition to providing entertainment to the community, Venice Theatre has a wide range of education and outreach programs for children and adults.