October 8, 2014
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota Presents The
November 1 and 2 • Historic Asolo Theater
This international award-winning ensemble of young and gifted musicians continues to win the hearts of audiences and critics around the globe. In these two concerts, the group will perform works by Schubert, Lili Boulanger, Mendelssohn and Ravel.
“I don’t believe I’ve ever heard so many of the string colors and sound effects in the “Ravel Trio”—certainly not in a live performance. The Morgenstern’s clarity of musical detail and technical excellence made this a night to remember. This was one of the best concerts I’ve heard all season.” – Robert Battey, Washington Post
(Sarasota, Florida) Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents the award-winning Morgenstern Trio, Saturday, November 1, 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, November 2, 7:30 p.m., at the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. The concert will feature works by Schubert (Notturno in Eb Major, Op. 148, D.897); Lili Boulanger (Nocturne – D’un matin de printemps); Mendelssohn (Piano Trio in C minor, Op. 66) and Ravel (Piano Trio in A minor). Tickets are $25 to $45 and can be purchased online at www.artistseriesconcerts.org or by calling 941-360-7399.
The trio’s members (Stefan Hempel, violin; Catherine Klipfel, piano; and Emanuel Wehse, violin/cello) joined forces in 2005 at the Folkwang Academy in Essen, Germany. In 2007, after only two years of intense collaboration, the trio earned several important prizes, including first prize at the International Joseph Haydn Competition in Vienna, second prize at the Fifth Melbourne International Chamber Music Competition, and both the second prize and the audience prize at the prestigious ARD Competition in Munich. In 2009, the group won the Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson International Trio Award, a prestigious award with a prize that includes 20 major debuts, including the Gilmore International Keyboard Festival.
The German newspaper Achener Zeitung hails the trio’s “sheer unbelievable virtuosity,” while the Münchner Merkur says they provide “everything desirable in a chamber music concert: rhythm, precision, balance in sound, and perfect intonation.” Washington Post critic Robert Bottey hailed the Trio’s performance for the “unanimity, polished technique and musical imagination that I thought had vanished from the scene with the demise of the Beaux Arts Trio.”
Since 1996, Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota has presented an ever-expanding annual season of concerts by globally renowned and celebrated emerging artists. The 2014-2015 season runs through May 2015 and includes six concerts in its “Classical Recital Series,” four concerts in its “Pop Series,” and three special concerts. Three “Lunch, Look and Listen” events are also scheduled. For more information about the Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 2014-2015 season, visit www.artistseriesconcerts.org or call 941-306-1202.
The 2014-2015 Season at a Glance
Classical Recital Series
Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- Morgenstern Trio with Catherine Klipfel, piano, Stefan Hempel, violin, and Emanuel Wehse, cello, performing works by Schubert, Boulanger, Mendelssohn and Ravel. November 1 and 2.
- Takaoki Onishi, baritone, and Arlene Shrut, piano, performing works by Ravel, Korngold and Rossini. December 6 and 7.
- Adrian Anantawan, violin, and Amy Yang, piano, performing works by Brahms, Ravel and Mozart. January 31 and February 1.
- Ying Quartet with Ayano Ninomiya, violin, Janet Ying, violin, Phillip Ying, viola, and David Ying, cello, performing works by Haydn, Auerbach, and Beethoven. March 14 and 15.
- Bion Tsang, cello, and Adam Neiman, piano, performing works by Faure, Beethoven and Rachmaninoff. April 18 and 19.
- Adrienne Danrich, vocalist, and Djordje Nesic, May 30 and 31.
At the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- “Everything That Traffic Will Allow: A Tribute to the music of Ethel Merman” with Klea Blackhurst, singer/actress. November 15, 7:30 p.m., and November 16, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- ““Into the Night with Gershwin”: The Music of George Gershwin and Marvin Hamlisch” with Thomas Pandolfi, piano. February 28, 7:30 p.m., and March 1, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- “Trumpet Invasion” with Brandon Ridenour, trumpet, Mara Bonde, soprano, and Rich Ridenour, piano. May 2, 7:30 p.m., and May 3, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- “A Romp With Gilbert & Sullivan” with Tracy Olivera, soprano, Bob McDonald, baritone, Steve Cramer, tenor, Joseph Holt, piano, and the Gloria Musicae Singers performing highlights from “Pirates” “The Mikado,” and “Pinafore.” May 9, 7:30 p.m., and May 10, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
Lunch, Look and Listen
One-hour concerts at 11 a.m. followed by lunch at 12:15 p.m. At Michael’s On East Ballroom, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
- Trio Voila with Thomas Koch, guitar, Jane Hoffman, flute, and Laura Jensen Jennings, viola, performing works by Beethoven, Johanson, and Willis. January 22.
- “Best Of The Great American Songbook” with Jennifer Sheehan, cabaret/theater singer, and James Followell, piano, performing songs by Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein, Stephen Sondheim and more. February 12.
- Samus Haddad, baritone, and Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing spirituals and songs by Weill and Hoiby. March 19.
Sunday afternoons at 2 p.m. and Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. At the Weisenborne/Fischer residence. Call for address.
- Robert Fleitz, piano, performing works by Schumann, Debussy, Helpr, Boss and Poulenc. October 19 and 20.
- Jennifer Kim, classical guitar. April 26 and 27.
At the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- “A Broadway Holiday” with Will & Anthony Nunziata, cabaret singers, Gloria Musicae Singers and Alvin Hough, Jr., piano, performing holiday songs. December 20, 7:30 p.m., and December 21, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- 2015 Edvard Grieg Festival in Florida, featuring three concerts of lesser-known works performed by Alan Dunbar, bass-baritone, Gregory Martin, piano, the Gloria Musicae Singers, under the direction of Joseph Holt, Antonio Pompa-Baldi, piano,
- Njål Sparbo, bass-baritone, and Einar Røttingen, piano. Also featuring lectures, presentations, an exhibit of Grieg’s manuscripts, and a competition for prizes that include a concert tour in Norway. January 9-11. For a complete listing of all events, visit www.griegfestivalinflorida.org.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 as the Artist Series of Sarasota. The group is a non-profit corporation based in Sarasota, FL, that prides itself on presenting several major national and international varieties of concert, opera, orchestral, Broadway and film performances throughout their season. The majority of the performances are staged at the restored Historic Asolo Theater at The Ringling.