92Y’s Harkness Dance Festival kicks off next Friday, Feb 20th.
This year’s festival includes:
- Adam Barruch’s Belladonna is with his longtime collaborator Chelsea Bonosky from Sleep No More, and it’s a haunting reinterpretation of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s short story “Rappaccini’s Daughter.” Feb 20-22
- The Bang Group is presenting Tap Lab, four dances from their new initiative featuring contemporary dancers with roots in tap creating up to the minute rhythm dance. Feb 27-March 1
- Vick Shick’s Pathetique, Miniatures in Details highlights the intimacies among dancers in a wacky world she has created, weaving togethers sound, costume and choreography. March 6-8
- Martha Graham Dance Company’s Cave of the Heart looks at the destructive power of love inspired by the story of Medea, with a historic set designed by sculptor Isamu Noguchi. March 13-15
- Sally Silvers’ Actual Size pays homage to the films and motifs of Alfred Hitchock — a guest performer will appear each night to echo the Hitchcock cameo that he made in almost all of his films. March 20-22
The festival is curated by Doug Varone using his “Stripped/Dressed” format, where each choreographer uses the first half of the program to take apart the dance to show the audience how it was built, and then presents the full work.