Tuesday, March 17, 2015
2015 VAIL INTERNATIONAL DANCE FESTIVAL SEASON ANNOUNCED: JULY 27-AUGUST 10
Festival To Include Artist-in-Residence Ballerina Carla Körbes, Tony Award-Winning Tap Legend Savion Glover, Five World Premieres, UpClose: Apollo, and a Balanchine Celebration
VAIL, CO – The Vail International Dance Festival announces its 2015 schedule to be held July 27 through August 10, marking its 27th season with world premieres, exceptional debuts, and captivating collaborations. Located in the pristine alpine community of Vail, Colorado, the Festival features many of the world’s greatest artists from all genres of dance. Under the direction of former New York City Ballet star Damian Woetzel, the Festival’s 2015 season includes Artist-in-Residence ballerina Carla Körbes, Savion Glover, Wendy Whelan, American Ballet Theatre’s Isabella Boylston, Misty Copeland, and Herman Cornejo, New York City Ballet’s Sara Mearns, Tiler Peck, Lauren Lovette, Jared Angle, Chase Finlay, Zachary Catazaro, and Joseph Gordon, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater’s Linda Celeste Sims and Antonio Douthit-Boyd, Boston Ballet’s Misa Kuranaga and Jeffrey Cirio, Pacific Northwest Ballet’s Angelica Generosa, and Memphis Jookers Lil Buck and Prime Tyme.
Companies appearing at the Festival will include National Ballet of Mexico, Dance Heginbotham, BalletCollective, Rashaun Mitchell & Silas Reiner, BalletX, and Colorado Ballet. Musicians appearing this season include the acclaimed string quartet Brooklyn Rider, jazz phenomenon Jon Batiste, Galician bagpiper Cristina Pato, pianist Cameron Grant, and guitarist Gyan Riley. In a new extension for the Festival, a second Artist-in-Residence for 2015 will be illustrator Andrea Selby, who will be in Vail throughout the Festival to uniquely chronicle the performances, rehearsals, and community events.
Vail International Dance Festival 2015 Season:
• Monday, July 27 – Savion Glover & the Otherz: 7:30pm; Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater The Tony Award-winning legend of tap, Savion Glover returns to Vail to kick off the Festival with an electrifying performance, accompanied by his jazz quartet, The Otherz. “Virtuosity [is] his vehicle — extreme virtuosity.” –The New York Times
• Tuesday, July 28 – Dance House: Ballroom/Dance TV Remix: 7:30pm; Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater A new take on Vail favorites, Dance TV and Ballroom Spectacular. Featuring a star-filled stage presentation, followed by special performances all around the amphitheater. With artists including World Champion Rhythm dancers Liana Churilova and Emmanuel Pierre-Antoine, ballerina Tiler Peck, Chicago “Footwork” trailblazer King Charles, and Memphis Jookin star Lil Buck.
• Saturday, August 1 – Sunset, o639 Hours with BalletX: 7:30pm; Vilar Performing Arts Center With live musical accompaniment, the Festival’s first full-length evening ballet takes the stage at the Vilar Center. Sunset, o639 Hours is inspired by a true story, and in this acclaimed ballet we discover a world described by The New York Times as “…beautifully elegiac, taking us into the hearts of people who lived decades ago…”
• Sunday, August 2 – Ballet Blast: National Ballet of Mexico, American Ballet Stars, BalletX, BalletCollective and Colorado Ballet: 7:30pm; Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater The Vail International Dance Festival welcomes the National Ballet of Mexico for the first time, joined by Colorado Ballet, BalletX, a selection of international ballet stars, and another Festival newcomer, New York’s nascent BalletCollective – all brought together for a diverse evening of ballet, from classic to contemporary, with music by the cutting edge string quartet, Brooklyn Rider.
• Tuesday, August 4 – NOW: Premieres: 7:30pm; Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater A collection of world premieres commissioned by the Festival from celebrated choreographers, with a magnificent cast of artists from ballet, modern, and contemporary dance, all sharing the stage in this signature Festival performance. Choreographers include Pam Tanowitz, Silas Riener & Rashaun Mitchell, Lil Buck, John Heginbotham, and Matthew Neenan. “A Whirl of Premieres, From Jookin to Jetés.” –The New York Times
• Wednesday, August 5 – UpClose: Apollo: 6:30pm; Vilar Performing Arts Center The UpClose series of rehearsal-style performances continues for 2015, this year focusing on George Balanchine’s seminal masterpiece Apollo* to the music of Igor Stravinsky. This landmark ballet premiered as Apollon Musagète in 1928 as part of Diaghilev’s Ballet Russes season, and over the course of his lifetime, Balanchine made changes to the ballet, adjusting and cutting décor, simplifying costumes, and ultimately eliminating the opening scene depicting Apollo’s birth with his 1979 revival. Guided by Festival Director Damian Woetzel, this UpClose performance will examine the ballet from its original incarnation to what Balanchine last staged before his death in 1983. Featuring Festival stars including Carla Körbes, Tiler Peck, Herman Cornejo, and Chase Finlay. *Choreography by George Balanchine ©The George Balanchine Trust
• Friday, August 7 & Saturday, August 8 – International Evenings of Dance: 7:30pm; Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater A magnificent cast of stellar dance artists from around the world takes the stage in these signature Festival performances. “…new partnerships and debuts that would please the hearts of fans thousands of miles away.” –The New York Times
• Sunday, August 9 – Balanchine Celebration: 7:30pm; Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater Celebrating George Balanchine, one the 20th century’s greatest artists and founder of New York City Ballet, this performance features a selection of the world’s finest dancers in a unique evening of Balanchine ballets, including the debut of American Ballet Theatre superstar Herman Cornejo in Balanchine’s seminal masterpiece, Apollo*.*Choreography by George Balanchine ©The George Balanchine Trust
• Monday, August 10 – Dance for $20.15: 7:30pm; Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater For closing night of Festival 2015, an evening for everyone with specially priced tickets for every seat in the house. Dance for $20.15 features Colorado Ballet and guest artists from the 2015 Festival.
The Vail International Dance Festival performances take place at the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail and the Vilar Performing Arts Center in Beaver Creek. Fan Club Pre-Sale ticketing begins Tuesday, March 17, with public tickets going on sale Tuesday, March 24, 2015. For Fan Club information, contact Martha Brassel at [email protected] or 970.777.2015. Visit www.vaildance.org for more information and follow the Festival on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.