Sunday, May 31, 2015 l Game # 51
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Ohio l 2:00 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Lansing Lugnuts (30-20) at Dayton Dragons (26-24)
RH Chase De Jong (4-4, 3.45) vs. LH Seth Varner (5-3, 2.98)
Click here for the full Dragons Press Box Notes
Click here for the full Dragons Press Box Stats
Today’s Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lansing Lugnuts (affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays) in the third game of a four-game series. Dragons-Lugnuts Season Series: Lugnuts lead, 4-1.
Strength vs. Strength: The Dragons lead the Midwest League in team pitching in May (2.65 ERA) while Lansing leads in team batting in May (.285).
Streaks: Lansing has snapped the Dragons three-game winning streak by taking the first two games of the series. Lansing is 10-3 over the last 13.
Last Game: Lansing 4, Dayton 0. Highlights: Lansing starting pitcher Sean Reid-Foley struck out 10 batters and allowed just two base runners over 5.2 innings…Gavin LaValley had two of the three Dayton hits with a single and a double.
Today’s Dragons Starting Pitcher: Seth Varner is a 23-year-old native of Batavia, Ohio (about 20 east of downtown Cincinnati). Varner was drafted by the Reds in the 10th round in 2014 out of Miami (Ohio) University. He earned the Mid American Conference Pitcher of the Year award in 2014, going 7-3 with a 2.85 ERA. Last Start: Tuesday vs. South Bend: Win, 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO. Notable: Varner has issued only four walks in nine starts this season, and three of them came in one inning.
- Paul Kronenfeld is batting .324 over his last nine games to raise his average from .138 to .238. Kronenfeld is 6 for 16 on the current home stand. He had a walk-off RBI double Thursday after a big two-run homer Wednesday and three hits Tuesday.
- Brennan Bernardino over his last eight outings: 11.1 IP, 2 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 12 SO.
- Jake Paulson over his last six outings: 13.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 6 BB, 8 SO.
- All five Dragons starting pitchers have ERAs under 3.00 (Antone: 2.18; Strahan: 2.82; Armstrong: 2.82; Mahle: 2.95; Varner: 2.98).
- The Dragons lead the Midwest League in ERA in the month of May at 2.65. The Dragons are batting .247 as a team in May (.231 in April).
- The Dragons are 20-8 when allowing no unearned runs; 4-5 when allowing one unearned run; 2-11 when allowing two or more unearned runs.
- The Dragons are 20-4 when scoring at least four runs (10-1 at home). They are 6-20 when scoring three or less.
- The Dragons are 21-4 when allowing three runs or less; 5-20 when allowing four runs or more.
- The Dragons are 16-3 this season when scoring the first run of the game (9-0 at home).
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Monday, June 1 (7:00 p.m.): Lansing RH Jesus Tinoco (0-3, 3.20) at Dayton RH Mark Armstrong (3-1, 2.82)
Tuesday, June 2: Off Day