ADOPT THE ARTS:
BENEFIT CONCERT AND LIVE AUCTION: THURSDAY, MAY 12 FONDA THEATRE (HOLLYWOOD)
LIVE AUCTION ITEMS ANNOUNCED TODAY
MUSIC LUMINARIES TO HONOR AND PERFORM WITH
2016 ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES
GLENN HUGHES & ROBIN ZANDER
RED CARPET (6:00 PM), CONCERT BEGINS (7:30 PM)
ADOPT THE ARTS PROCEEDS CREATE MUSIC AND ARTS PROGRAMS
IN LAUSD SCHOOLS
Pictured above: METALLICA: Guitar signed by the band to be auctioned at ADOPT THE ARTS.
ADOPT THE ARTS will launch a live benefit concert and live auction for LAUSD elementary schools on Thursday, May 12 at The Fonda Theatre (6126 Hollywood Boulevard) in Los Angeles (red carpet 6:00-7:15PM, show starts: 7:30PM). Music luminaries will gather to perform with and honor 2016 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees GLENN HUGHES (Deep Purple) and ROBIN ZANDER (Cheap Trick) for their contributions to American art and culture. Proceeds from the concert and auction will be donated to ADOPT THE ARTS music programs in LAUSD elementary schools (see VIP ticket/donation below). Tickets are on-sale now at http://www.axs.com/events/308980/glenn-huges-robin-zander-tickets?skin=thefonda.
Comedian HAL SPARKS will also be a part of the night’sfestivities. Musicians confirmed to perform include ADOPT THE ARTS founder MATT SORUM (Guns N’ Roses, Velvet Revolver, Hollywood Vampires) along with GEEZER BUTLER (Black Sabbath), STEVE JONES (Sex Pistols), COREY TAYLOR (Slipknot), GILBY CLARKE (Guns N’ Roses), BILLY DUFFY (The Cult), DEAN DELEO & ROBERT DELEO (Stone Temple Pilots), STEVE LUKATHER (Toto), CHAD SMITH (Red Hot Chili Peppers), FRANKY PEREZ (Apocalyptica), STEVIE SALAS (Mick Jagger), PAUL III (Tina Turner, Disreputable Few), DAMON FOX (Big Elf and The Cult,) and DJ MORTY COYLE.
Pictured above: Matt Sorum and Joe Perry with signed guitar for the auction.
Intermittent between live performances guests will enjoy a live and silent auction featuring some of the following items from ADOPT THE ARTS supporters:
- ADOPT THE ARTS: Two Signed Concert Event Guitars (signed by all musicians above).
- SHEPARD FAIREY: Fine Art piece, “Black Sabbath,” Print on metal (retail $3000.00).
- WOODY GUTHRIE Signed Canvas Screen Print, 18′ X 24″ (numbered, edition of 450) 2010
- IGGY POP Signed Raw Power Screen Print, 18′ X 24″ (numbered, edition of 650) 2010
- BLACK SABBATH Signed Silver Black Crescent Print 18′ X 24″ (numbered, edition of 125) 2013 (www.obeygiant.com)
- METALLICA: Guitar signed by the band Metallica (pictured above).
- SLASH: Guitar signed by Slash (Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators, Guns N’ Roses).
- JOE PERRY: Guitar signed by Joe Perry (Aerosmith, Hollywood Vampires).
- BRIAN MAY: Guitar signed by Brian May (QUEEN).
- DAVE GROHL: Guitar signed by Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters).
- JOURNEY: Guitar signed by Journey, Paul Reed Smith Se14 played by Neal Schon.
- MAROON 5: Guitar signed by the band Maroon 5.
- ELTON JOHN/DAVEY JOHNSTON: Signed guitar from Davey Johnston, legendary Elton John guitarist.
- MATT SORUM: Three, signed Guns N’ Roses s drumheads signed by Matt Sorum (Guns N’ Roses).
- PRINCE: Color print photo of Prince from rock photographer Gene Kirkland (signed). (www.genekirklandphotography.com)
- JOAN JETT & CHEAP TRICK: VIP Meet and Greet package at Los Angeles concert, August 23 at The Forum.
- CROSBY STILLS NASH AND YOUNG: 1974 box set.
- RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE: deluxe box set.
- AFRICAN SAFARI: All-inclusive eco-luxury African safari trip.
- LAGUNA MONTAGE: Two-night luxury hotel stay and lunch with drummer Matt Sorum (Guns N’ Roses).
- SAMMY HAGAR: signed cook book, two bottles of Bum Rum and two t-shirts.
- JOHN VARVATOS:
- Four 4.2 oz colognes, “Vintage,” “Artisan,” “Dark Rebel,” “Artisan Acqua.”
- One pair of Aviator sunglasses (retail $295.00).
- Signed copy of John Varvatos’ limited edition book, Rock In Fashion (retail $495.00).
- Weekender duffle bag (retail $1595.00).
- KLIPTSCH SPEAKER SYSTEM: Kliptsch Designer Speaker System (Retail $1,500).
- ZALEMARK (jewelry):
- Sterling 925 Silver: Crayola Colored Inspired Ladies Bracelet set 5.24 cts Natural African Amethysts & White Sapphires (Retail $ 1494.00).
- Sterling 925 Silver: Crayola Colored Inspired Ladies Ring set with 9mm Princess Cut Natural Madera Citrine & 1.10cts of White Sapphires (Size 7, Retail $ 1632.00).
- Sterling 925 Silver: Set of 5, Crayola Colored Inspired Ladies Stackable 5 bracelets set (Made in Italy) with magnetic clasps (Retail $ 1215.00).
ADOPT THE ARTS: Benefit Concert and Auction:
THURSDAY, MAY 12
THE FONDA THEATRE
(6126 Hollywood Boulevard)
|5:30pm||Media check-in, set up on red carpet.|
|6:00pm||Red carpet begins in front of The Fonda Theatre.|
|7:15pm||Red carpet ends.|
|7:30pm||ADOPT THE ARTS concert begins.|
Ticket prices for the ADOPT THE ARTS event are below and all donations are tax deductible:
- Meet & Greet tables & tickets – SOLD OUT!
- VIP TABLES – $2500 (2 left)
- Floor Tables – $1500 (2 left)
- Special floor seating – $125
- Balcony seating – $75
- GA/Standing room – $40
Tickets are on-sale now and can be purchased at http://adoptthearts.org and http://www.axs.com/events/308980/glenn-huges-robin-zander-tickets?skin=thefonda.
ADOPT THE ARTS (adoptthearts.org)–a Los Angeles-based charity co-founded by musician Matt Sorum and activist Abby Berman, and actively supported by artists like actress Jane Lynch (founding board member)–works to preserve arts programs in U.S. public schools. To raise awareness, ADOPT THE ARTS honors individuals who’ve had a long-lasting impact on music culture and who inspire young musicians to follow in their footsteps. The ADOPT THE ARTS advisory board includes: SLASH, JOHN STAMOS, BILLY BOB THORTON, STEVE STEVENS, JULIETTE LEWIS, DANNY MASTERSON, SHEPARD FAIREY, ADRIAN YOUNG and GINA GERSHON.
According to Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), there are still not enough teachers, equipment or instruments for every child to receive an arts education of any kind. As in many school districts around the country, LAUSD has been slowly eroding its commitment to arts education, reducing the budget incrementally. The LAUSD district also estimates that 80% of its student body is living at or below the poverty line, which means the vast majority of these elementary school children will not have access to the arts outside of school.
“I’m extremely honored to be accepting an award from such an admirable charity, Adopt the Arts,” explains GLENN HUGHES. “Matt Sorum has gone to great lengths to help create a program for children to have musical instruments in their lives and in turn to provide love and harmony in our lives. I’m humbled and grateful. See you at the event at the Henry Fonda Theatre in Hollywood on Thursday, May 12. I’m really looking forward to performing for you all, let’s make it a magical night.”
“All of my career I’ve been involved in promoting the arts in elementary schools and I’m proud to be part of Adopt the Arts Honors,” adds ROBIN ZANDER. My thanks goes out to the foundation and I hope that fans everywhere will come and join us for a successful evening of fun, music and fundraising. See you there.”
“Adopt the Arts was born out of the frustration for my own children losing education in the arts,” explains ADOPT THE ARTS co-founder Abby Berman. “When the system is failing, we have to take action. With influential people like my co-founder Matt Sorum adopting schools, we can preserve this valuable component to childhood development, which is also known to boost test scores. Because Federal and State funding is falling short, the responsibility is upon us as concerned parents and citizens to ensure we’re raising a new generation of healthy and well-rounded individuals.”
ADOPT THE ARTS Chair and Co-founder Matt Sorum adds, “We’re starting in our own backyard here in Los Angeles, and we’ll continue to adopt schools across the nation. We believe that music and art are universal and necessary languages that unite us all, regardless of our backgrounds.”
Invite photo link: http://msopr.com/files/hughes__zander_save_the_date_v7_new35.JPG.
About Adopt the Arts
In collaboration with well-known artists, entrepreneurs, policy makers and the general public, Adopt the Arts is dedicated to improving the academic performance of every child, through the gift of making music and art. ATA is focused on developing strategic relationships with educators, administrators, and board members to ensure that most underserved schools in the district are identified and ultimately, helped. Co-founders Abby Berman and Matt Sorum believe that it is morally and ethically incumbent upon the public-at-large to foster the creativity, hopes, dreams and imaginations of our children. To date, ATA has donated over 1000 instruments to 30 LAUSD schools and fully funded the music program at Rosewood Avenue and Westminster Elementary. Each school has been “adopted” by a celebrity or public figure, exposing children to inspirational people who have worked hard for their successes. The interaction between the children and adoptee creates a sense of responsibility and shared commitment for all of those involved.
About Matt Sorum:
Matt Sorum is an American drummer and percussionist. He is best known as both a former member of the hard rock band Guns N’ Roses, with whom he recorded three studio albums, and as a member of the supergroupVelvet Revolver. Sorum is currently a member of the Hollywood Vampires alongside Alice Cooper, Joe Perry and Johnny Depp, he is also part of the touring project Kings of Chaos, a former member of both The Cult and Y Kant Tori Read. In 2014, Sorum debuted a new solo project titled Fierce Joy, which released the album Stratosphere. Sorum was also a member of Guns N’ Roses side-projects, Slash’s Snakepit and Neurotic Outsiders, and released a solo album, Hollywood Zen, in 2004. In 2012, Sorum was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Guns N’ Roses.
About Glenn Hughes:
Glenn Hughes is a British rock bassist and vocalist, who achieved international fame with the band Deep Purple. Hughes started out in the 1960’s and formed the funk-rock band Trapeze. In 1973, Hughes joined Deep Purple, and played on three of Purple’s albums, before the band’s split in 1976. Hughes’ first solo album, “Play Me Out, was released in 1977, and the musician went on to release a series of solo albums throughout the 1980’s and 90’s. One of the most important collaborations in Hughes’ career was with Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi, on the legendary guitarist’s first solo album. On April 8, 2016, Deep Purple was inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at the ceremony, in Brooklyn, NY.
About Robin Zander:
Robin Zander is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist for the rock band Cheap Trick. In 1974, Zander became the second singer to join Cheap Trick, and has toured the world and released many albums, ever since. In 2014, Zander was part of the all-star “Kings of Chaos” line-up that included Steven Tyler, Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan. “Kings of Chaos” played shows in South Africa, and continued in the U.S., last year. Zander was also inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year, along with his fellow Cheap Trick band members.