SARASOTA COUNTY – 10th Annual Sustainable Communities Workshop, hosted by Sarasota County UF/IFAS Extension and Sustainability on Thursday, Dec. 3.
The workshop brings together experts and everyday citizens to discuss goals for building communities that are economically, environmentally and socially healthy and resilient.
WHAT: 10th Annual Sustainable Communities Workshop
WHEN: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 3.
WHERE: Girl Scouts of Gulfcoast Florida Event and Conference Center, 4740 Cattlemen Road, Sarasota.
Workshop topics include: natural environment, water quality, water conservation, energy, built environment, health, food, social equity and economic development. Additionally, workshop speakers also can be available for interviews. View the full list of scheduled speakers at scgov.net/SustainableCommunities/Pages/2015Speakers.aspx.
DEC. 3 AGENDA
8-8:30 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:35-8:45 a.m. Welcome
Sarasota County Commissioner Carolyn Mason
8:50-9:40 a.m. Keynote Speaker
Kaid Benfield, PlaceMakers
“People Habitat: Thoughts for Greener, Healthier Communities”
10-10:50 a.m. Sustainability Assessment Chapter Reports
* Natural Environment & Water: Jennifer Shafer, Science & Environment Council of Southwest Florida
* Social Systems (Health, Food & Social Equity): Kristian Blessington, Florida Department of Heath Sarasota County, and Don Hall, Transition Sarasota
* Energy and Built Environment: Lee Hayes Byron, Sarasota County
* Sustainable Economy: Tim Rumage, Ringling School of Art & Design
11-11:50 a.m. Best Practice Speakers: Topic Experts
* Natural Environment: Debi Osborne, Conservation Foundation of the Gulf Coast
* Social Systems: Sean Sellers, Fair Food Standards Council
* Built Environment: Pierce Jones, University of Florida
* Sustainable Economy: John Freeman, University of South Florida
Noon – 1 p.m. Lunch: Visit Exhibitors
Recognition Ceremony for Sustainability Champions
1:05-1:15 p.m. Welcome
Mayor Willie Shaw, City of Sarasota Commission
1:20 -2 p.m. Keynote Speaker
Jon Thaxton, Gulf Coast Community Foundation
2-3 p.m. Group Discussion
Facilitated Group Discussion on Strategies for Improvement in the next 10 years
* Natural Environment & Water
* Social Systems (Health, Food, Social Equity)
* Energy & Built Environment
* Sustainable Economy
3-3:15 p.m. Break/Afternoon Refreshments: Visit Exhibitors
3:50-4:15 p.m. Synthesis
Next steps, get involved
4:15-4:30 p.m. Raffle Prizes and Wrap-up