Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents
The Ying Quartet
March 14 and 15 • Historic Asolo Theater
The Ying Quartet occupies a position of unique prominence in the classical music world, combining brilliantly communicative performances with a fearlessly imaginative view of chamber music in today’s world.
“The ensemble replicated the sounds of water” —New York Times
“Precarious balance where sheer agony and triumphant beauty intersect.”
(Sarasota, Florida) Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents the Ying Quartet, Saturday, March 14, 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, March 15, 7:30 p.m., at the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. The group will perform Haydn’s Quartet in D Major, Op. 20, No. 4, Auerbach’s Quartet No. 8, “Sylvia’s Diary,” and Beethoven’s Quartet in C# minor, Op. 131.Tickets are $25 to $45 and can be purchased online at www.artistseriesconcerts.org or by calling 941-360-7399.
The Ying Quartet occupies a position of unique prominence in the classical music world, combining brilliantly communicative performances with a fearlessly imaginative view of chamber music in today’s world. Now in its second decade, the Ying Quartet (Ayano Ninomiya, violin; Janet Ying, violin; Phillip Ying, viola; and David Ying, cello) has established itself as an ensemble of the highest musical qualifications. The group has performed at Carnegie Hall, Sydney Opera House, The White House and many other prestigious venues. Simultaneously, the quartet strives to make concert music a vital part of daily life by performing in workplaces, schools, and juvenile prisons. The Ying Quartet is famed for its diverse performance projects, including the “No Boundaries” series at Symphony Space in New York City (which re-imagined the concert experience in a collaboration with actors, dancers, a magician and even a Chinese noodle chef), as well as its collaboration with composer Tod Machover at the MIT Media lab, employing Hyperscore musical composition software. As quartet-in-residence at the Eastman School of Music, the Ying Quartet teaches in the string department and leads a rigorous, sequentially designed chamber music program. For more information, visit www.ying4.com.
Since 1996, Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota has presented an ever-expanding annual season of concerts by globally renowned and celebrated emerging artists. The 2014-2015 season runs through May 2015 and includes six concerts in its “Classical Recital Series,” four concerts in its “Pop Series,” and three special concerts. Three “Lunch, Look and Listen” events are also scheduled. For more information about the Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 2014-2015 season, visit www.artistseriesconcerts.org or call 941-306-1202.
The 2014-2015 Season at a Glance
Classical Recital Series
Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- Ying Quartet with Ayano Ninomiya, violin, Janet Ying, violin, Phillip Ying, viola, and David Ying, cello, performing works by Haydn, Auerbach, and Beethoven. March 14 and 15.
- Bion Tsang, cello, and Adam Neiman, piano, performing works by Faure, Beethoven and Rachmaninoff. April 18 and 19.
- Adrienne Danrich, vocalist, and Djordje Nesic, May 30 and 31.
At the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- “Trumpet Invasion” with Brandon Ridenour, trumpet, Mara Bonde, soprano, and Rich Ridenour, piano. May 2, 7:30 p.m., and May 3, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- “A Romp With Gilbert & Sullivan” with Tracy Olivera, soprano, Bob McDonald, baritone, Steve Cramer, tenor, Joseph Holt, piano, and the Gloria Musicae Singers performing highlights from “Pirates” “The Mikado,” and “Pinafore.” May 9, 7:30 p.m., and May 10, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
Lunch, Look and Listen
One-hour concerts at 11 a.m. followed by lunch at 12:15 p.m. At Michael’s On East Ballroom, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
- Samus Haddad, baritone, and Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing spirituals and songs by Weill and Hoiby. March 19.
Sunday afternoons at 2 p.m. and Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. At the Weisenborne/Fischer residence. Call for address.
- Jennifer Kim, classical guitar. April 26 and 27.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 as the Artist Series of Sarasota. The group is a non-profit corporation based in Sarasota, FL, that prides itself on presenting several major national and international varieties of concert, opera, orchestral, Broadway and film performances throughout their season. The majority of the performances are staged at the restored Historic Asolo Theater at The Ringling.