Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents
Pianist Thomas Pandolfi in
“One Singular Night: The Music of George Gershwin and Marvin Hamlisch”
February 28 and March 1 • Historic Asolo Theater
This young, rising star brings his signature interpretations of Gershwin and Hamlisch to the Historic Asolo Theater.
(Sarasota, Florida) Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents the young, virtuoso pianist Thomas Pandolfi in “One Singular Night: The Music of George Gershwin and Marvin Hamlisch,” Saturday, February 28, 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, March 1, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., at the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. Considered to be one of the leading interpreters of the works of Gershwin, Pandolfi will lead off with nine of Gershwin’s best-known popular melodies, including “Our Love is Here to Stay,” “Embraceable You,” “I Got Rhythm,” and “Oh Lady Be Good,” before moving into the popular works of Marvin Hamlisch, including “The Way We Were,” “Nobody Does it Better” a fantasy of themes from “A Chorus Line,” and more. Tickets are $25 to $45 and can be purchased online at www.artistseriesconcerts.org or by calling 941-360-7399.
A graduate of Juilliard and a Steinway Artist, Thomas Pandolfi has rapidly ascended to become a star of the classical and pops world, acclaimed for his performances of classical concerti, as well as for his interpretations of the jazz infused compositions of Gershwin. The Washington Post has described him as “an artist who is master of both the grand gesture and the sensual line,” while the New York Concert Review has characterized Pandolfi’s interpretations as containing, “high level pianism and tasteful, diversified musical ideas…crystalline texture and deft coloration… charm and bracing elan.” In the “pops” genre, Pandolfi is considered to be a leading interpreter of the works of George Gershwin. Pandolfi has performed in England, Canada, Germany, Eastern Europe, and China, and in concerts as both a recitalist and soloist with orchestras across the United States. During the last two seasons, he performed two highly successful and acclaimed 15-state recital tours across the United States.
Since 1996, Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota has presented an ever-expanding annual season of concerts by globally renowned and celebrated emerging artists. The 2014-2015 season runs through May 2015 and includes six concerts in its “Classical Recital Series,” four concerts in its “Pop Series,” and three special concerts. Three “Lunch, Look and Listen” events are also scheduled. For more information about the Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 2014-2015 season, visit www.artistseriesconcerts.org or call 941-306-1202.
The 2014-2015 Season at a Glance
Classical Recital Series
Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- Ying Quartet with Ayano Ninomiya, violin, Janet Ying, violin, Phillip Ying, viola, and David Ying, cello, performing works by Haydn, Auerbach, and Beethoven. March 14 and 15.
- Bion Tsang, cello, and Adam Neiman, piano, performing works by Faure, Beethoven and Rachmaninoff. April 18 and 19.
- Adrienne Danrich, vocalist, and Djordje Nesic, May 30 and 31.
At the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
- “Trumpet Invasion” with Brandon Ridenour, trumpet, Mara Bonde, soprano, and Rich Ridenour, piano. May 2, 7:30 p.m., and May 3, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
- “A Romp With Gilbert & Sullivan” with Tracy Olivera, soprano, Bob McDonald, baritone, Steve Cramer, tenor, Joseph Holt, piano, and the Gloria Musicae Singers performing highlights from “Pirates” “The Mikado,” and “Pinafore.” May 9, 7:30 p.m., and May 10, 2 and 7:30 p.m.
Lunch, Look and Listen
One-hour concerts at 11 a.m. followed by lunch at 12:15 p.m. At Michael’s On East Ballroom, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
- Samus Haddad, baritone, and Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing spirituals and songs by Weill and Hoiby. March 19.
Sunday afternoons at 2 p.m. and Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. At the Weisenborne/Fischer residence. Call for address.
- Jennifer Kim, classical guitar. April 26 and 27.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 as the Artist Series of Sarasota. The group is a non-profit corporation based in Sarasota, FL, that prides itself on presenting several major national and international varieties of concert, opera, orchestral, Broadway and film performances throughout their season. The majority of the performances are staged at the restored Historic Asolo Theater at The Ringling.