Shake Up Your New Year’s Resolution with Fun and Fitness at
The Ailey Extension!
Kukuwa African Dance Workout. Photo by Jacqueline Chang. Ailey Barre. Photo by Andy Kay. Zumba class at the Ailey Extension. Photo by Kyle Froman.
Ctrl + click for hi-res download. Please credit photos.
(New York) January 15, 2016 —2016 is in full swing, and the Ailey Extension is here to help New Yorkers maintain their New Year’s resolutions with a variety of dynamic fitness classes. There is something for everyone at the Ailey Extension, which offers more than 80 classes per week in 25 dance and fitness techniques. Join the crowd of over 100,000 people – from beginners to the renowned Ailey dancers – who have taken class at the beautiful Ailey Studios at the Joan Weill Center for Dance, New York’s largest building dedicated to dance.
For those seeking an upbeat fitness experience the Ailey Extension offers:
- Kukuwa® African Dance Workout, Wednesdays at 8pm – A cardio journey through the continent of Africa, complete with rhythmic beats and calorie-burning dance moves.
- DanzaTone™, Saturdays at 9:30am – An invigorating workout that incorporates dance styles from throughout Latin America and the Caribbean Islands.
- Masala Bhangra Workout®, Mondays at 8pm & Saturdays at 10:35am – A class that blends traditional Bhangra dance steps with exhilarating Bollywood moves.
- SharQui – The Bellydance Workout®, Fridays at 6:30pm – A dynamic, aerobic belly dance class.
- Zumba® Fitness, Monday – Saturday, various times – An uplifting workout that combines Latin music with unique international moves and combinations.
Those interested in a more grounded workout can try:
- Ailey Barre, Thursdays at 6pm – A barre class founded and taught by former Ailey dancer Sarita Allen, designed to sculpt the body and increase flexibility.
- Pilates, Saturdays at 9:35am – Standard Pilates principles help students strengthen and tone.
- Yoga, Wednesdays, Fridays & Sundays, various times – Ashtanga and Vinyasa techniques guide students to a strong body and calm mind.
Weekly dance classes include:
Those who saw an Ailey performance during the company’s recent New York City Center season can use the Ticket to Dance offer to try any of these classes FREE with a ticket stub! (First time students only, through March 3rd)
For students who want to follow in the footsteps of those renowned Ailey dancers and take their skills from the studio to the stage, the Ailey Extension will offer Spring Performance Workshops beginning the week of January 24th. Not only will participants of all levels improve their technique and stamina, they’ll also have the opportunity to shine on the Ailey Citigroup stage on Saturday, March 19th at 7:30pm and Sunday, March 20th at 3pm.
For the complete schedule of “real classes for real people” visit aileyextension.com.
For additional press materials including photos, video, and class descriptions visit pressroom.alvinailey.org/the-ailey-extension.
AILEY EXTENSION FITNESS CLASSES
Thursdays at 6:00pm
Saturdays at 9:30am
Kukuwa® African Dance Workout
Wednesdays at 9:00pm
Masala Bhangra Workout®
Mondays at 8:00pm
Saturdays at 10:35am
Powerful Body Pilates
Saturdays at 9:35am
SharQui – The Bellydance Workout®
Fridays at 6:30pm
Wednesdays & Fridays at 7:30pm
Sundays at 12:00pm and 5:00pm
Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 12:30pm and 6:00pm
Tuesdays at 6:30pm
Thursdays at 6:00pm
Saturdays at 11:30am and 6:00pm
All classes are $20
AILEY EXTENSION SPRING PERFORMANCE WORKSHOPS
Horton with Fernando Carrillo
Sundays, January 24–March 13 at 5:00pm
Ballet with Dawn Hillen
Tuesdays & Thursdays, February 23-March 18 at 7:30pm
Beginner Hip-Hop with Jonathan Lee
Jan 26–Mar 15, Tuesdays, January 26-March 15 at 9:00pm
Level Placement class for both hip-hop workshops on January 26th from 7:30-9:00pm
Adv. Beginner Hip-Hop with Jonathan Lee
Thursdays, January 28-March 17 at 8:30pm–10:30pm
Adv. Beginner Contemporary Latin Jazz with Sekou McMiller
February 28–March 18, Thursdays, at 8:00pm–10:00pm and
Sundays at 4:00pm
Vogue with Cesar Valentino
Sundays, January 24–March 13 at 4:30pm
Contemporary with Christopher Jackson
Wednesdays, January 20–March 16 at 8:00pm
All performances workshops are $225
Since its inception in 2005, The Ailey Extension has fulfilled Mr. Ailey’s life-long commitment of bringing dance to everyone by offering “real classes for real people.” The Ailey Extension offers of over 80 classes per week in more than 25 different dance and fitness techniques such as Ballet, West African, Samba, Jazz, Zumba, House and Hip Hop. All levels are welcome, including beginners! Over 100,000 people have taken classes at Ailey’s home, New York’s largest building dedicated to dance, where dancers of all levels and walks of life can learn and be inspired – body, mind, and spirit!