For the Short Rib:
1. In a large pan sear the short ribs on medium heat, making sure to turn over on both sides to cook evenly.
2. Ready a separate pan with olive oil on medium heat, sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Once the vegetables are tender, deglaze the pan with red wine and allow to reduce; then add the cranberry juice and thyme.
3. Stack the short ribs in the Dutch oven. Add the cranberry juice and red wine (save 1 cup of red wine for the sauce), and then pour over the water until covering the meat. Cover with foil and place the Dutch oven in a 350°F oven to cook for 3 hours, or until meat is tender.
4. When thoroughly cooked remove from the oven and allow the short ribs to cool in the braising juice. Remove the short ribs from the braising juice. Slice the meat then set aside.
5. Let the braising juice cool fully, estimated time about 4 hours, then discard fat; save the braising juice to make the sauce.
For the Sauce:
1. Strain the cooled braising juice, then bring to a simmer over medium temperature. Once simmering, deglaze the pan with 1 cup of red wine. Allow wine and sauce to reduce half-way.
2. Place the slices of short rib again in the Dutch oven. Once the sauce is ready pour it over the slices of short rib. Return the pot to a 350°F oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until meat is thoroughly warm.
For the Sunchoke Puree:
1. Sprinkle sun chokes with salt and pepper, to taste. Place on a well-greased hot grill. Char for 6-8 minutes, turning as needed until sunchokes are soft and have grill marks evening, though just slightly blackened.
2. In a different sauce pan on medium heat, bring the heavy cream to boil. Be careful not to burn the cream. 3. In a blender combine the charred sunchokes and heavy cream and blend until the sunchokes break down. Then add the remaining ingredients. Puree until a light, smooth texture forms.
For the Mezcal-7 Chiles Salsa:
Place heavy cream in a sauce an over medium heat. Warm thoroughly, then add the remaining ingredients and cook for 15 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally with a whisk.
To Assemble and Serve:
Per each plate, paint through the center a stroke sunchoke puree. Place center plate a generous piece of the braised short rib then pour the mezcal-seven chiles salsa. Garnish with microgreens.