Top Podcasts Unite for a New Kind of ‘Cast Party,’ Coming to Select U.S. Theaters This Summer
Fathom Events, BY Experience, Mailchimp and Audible.com present “Cast Party: Podcast Festival Live in Cinemas” July 28 Only
DENVER – June 15, 2015 – Hosts from some of the biggest and best podcasts in the world will convene for Cast Party – a festive, rousing variety show beamed live into movie theaters across North America. The event will include original segments performed by all the shows including Radiolab, Reply All, Invisibilia and many more in front of a live audience at NYU’s Skirball Center for the Performing Arts. “Cast Party: Podcast Festival Live in Cinemas” is presented by Fathom Events and BY Experience, in select U.S. movie theaters on Tuesday, July 28 at 8:00 p.m. ET, 7:00 p.m. CT, 6:00 p.m. MT and on a delayed basis to 8:00 p.m. PT.
Tickets for “Cast Party” can be purchased online by visiting www.FathomEvents.com, or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in select movie theaters through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network. For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change). “Cast Party” is produced with support from Audible.com and Mailchimp, perennial sponsors of many podcasts.
“We envision this as the ‘Lollapalooza’ of podcasts,” says Cast Party co-creator and producer Seth Lind. “Podcasts are having this moment, what everyone’s calling a golden age, so we thought why not gather shows from different genres and networks and just have a huge celebration? And let’s rent a satellite so everyone can see it.”
Once a niche medium, podcasts have exploded in popularity, with iTunes® podcast subscribers surging to 77 million, up from 25 million just five years ago. In Cast Party, shows across genres and networks will join to celebrate podcasting’s emergence as a powerhouse medium with millions of obsessed fans.
“Getting audiences together to watch their favorite podcasts come to life, from the live stage to the big screen, will be exhilarating,” says Julie Borchard-Young, co-President of BY Experience, Executive Producer and co-creator of Cast Party. “These podcast hosts talk right into our ears each week, which is an intimate, often solitary pleasure. We’re thrilled to transform that individual listening experience into a live, collective, visual one. With some actual song and dance.”
A few of the featured podcasts at this event include:
- Radiolab – Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich bring to the stage WNYC’s wildly popular, multi-award winning, obsessively sound-designed exploration of science, philosophy and human experience.
- Invisibilia – Co-host Lulu Miller performs a brand new story reported for NPR’s mega-hit podcast about the hidden forces that guide our lives.
- Reply All – Hosts PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman perform a live episode of Gimlet Media’s breakout show featuring riveting stories about the Internet. Produced by former This American Life producer and Planet Money co-creator Alex Blumberg.
- With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus – Earwolf’s improv comedy show guested comedian and Orange is the New Black star Lauren Lapkus. In every installment, another comedian pretends to be the host of an imaginary long-running show and tells Lauren on the spot what her character is. Improvised comedy of the highest caliber ensues.
- The Truth – Created by Jonathan Mitchell, The Truth is contemporary radio drama. Like old-timey radio serials, but without any of the throwback cheesiness – completely fresh and with 3D soundscapes. Jonathan and his team of writers and actors will create a completely original dramedy to be performed live on stage at Cast Party. The Truth is part of Radiotopia, a collective of story driven podcasts from PRX.
“Fathom Events is excited to host an event around such an innovative and growing industry. With such an interesting variety of shows, the event is sure to have something for everyone,” said Fathom Events vice president of programming Kymberli Frueh-Owens.
For artwork/photos related to “Cast Party: Podcast Festival Live in Cinemas,” visit the Fathom Events press site.
About Fathom Events
Fathom Events is the recognized leader in the alternative entertainment industry, offering a variety of one-of-a-kind entertainment events in movie theaters nationwide that include live, high-definition performances of the Metropolitan Opera, the performing arts, major sporting events, music concerts, comedy series, Broadway shows, original programming featuring entertainment’s biggest stars, socially relevant documentaries with audience Q&A and much more. Fathom Events takes audiences behind-the-scenes and offers unique extras, creating the ultimate entertainment experience. It is owned by a consortium called AC JV, LLC., comprised of AMC Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: AMC), Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK) and Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC), the three largest movie theater circuits in the United States. In addition, Fathom Events’ live digital broadcast network (“DBN”) is the largest cinema broadcast network in North America, bringing live events to more than 775 locations in 171 Designated Market Areas® (including all of the top 50). For more information, visit www.fathomevents.com.
About BY Experience
BY Experience kicked off the digital revolution of live events to movie theaters and other locations globally with David Bowie’s 2003 Reality album launch and since then, over 22 million tickets have been sold worldwide for cinema events BY Experience has distributed globally. Current cinema series credits: Distribution Representative, The Met: Live in HD (Worldwide; since 2006), the U.K.’s National Theatre Live (Ex-UK; since 2009), Bolshoi Ballet (North America; since 2014), Stratford Festival HD (Ex-Canada, since 2014). Additionally, BY Experience has executive produced and/or distributed several diverse programs for cinema including numerous rock concerts, radio programs, fine art exhibits, and other special content events. BY Experience distributes to over 60 countries, to over 2,000 movie screens. www.byexperience.net.