8290 College Pkwy Suite 103 Ft. Myers, FL 33919 239-418-1500 www.swflso.org
Date: Monday, April 25, 2016
The Southwest Florida Symphony presents a world premiere
rock & roll-classical crossover concert with Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket
Fort Myers, FL— The Southwest Florida Symphony brings a world premiere cross-over classical rock concert to Fort Myers on Friday, May 6th at the Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall at FSW at 8:00pm. The Southwest Florida Symphony, conducted by internationally renowned music director Nir Kabaretti, performs with Glen Phillips, lead singer and songwriter of the iconic 90s band, Toad the Wet Sprocket. Phillips and the Southwest Florida Symphony will perform the band’s greatest hits with commissioned arrangements for the Southwest Florida Symphony by composer-arranger Timothy Berens. Executive Director, Amy Ginsburg said, “As someone who is passionate about all kinds of music, I’ve heard other groups successfully marry symphonic and rock and roll genres, which inspired me to create this project for the Southwest Florida Symphony.”
This world premiere symphonic rock and roll event features Toad’s best-loved radio rock anthems, Walk On the Ocean, Good Intentions, Something’s Always Wrong and other smash hits along with new solo work by Glen Phillips and classical pieces by Mozart, Copeland, Barber and Tchaikovsky that were lauded as the rock and roll anthems of their day. “When I listen to Glen’s and Toad the Wet Sprockets’ music, I can “hear” symphonic accompaniment behind it, which made this an appealing and exciting musical experiment” said Ginsburg. Tim Berens has created arrangements for the mega bands Rush and Black Sabbath as well as major artists including Eric Clapton and Sara Bariellas.
About the Event
- What: Southwest Florida Symphony World Premiere Concert with Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket
- When: Friday, May 6, 2016
- Where: Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall at FSW
- Time: 8:00PM
- Tickets: from $35-$150 – $150 ticket includes access to a pre-concert VIP party with Phillips, Kabaretti, Berens and Southwest Florida Symphony musicians.
- Concert is co-produced with Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall at FSW and is sponsored by the Crowne Plaza at Bell Tower and Florida Weekly