The Beatles’ ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ turns 50
More than half* of all listeners to Sgt. Pepper on Spotify are under the age of 40
This Friday 26th May will mark 50 years since The Beatles released their Grammy Award winning eighth studio album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band in the UK**.
Recorded in London’s legendary Abbey Road studio, the album produced some of the most popular tracks ever released by The Beatles, including ‘With a Little Help from My Friends’, ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ and ‘A Day in the Life’, and became one of the most iconic albums – and album covers – in recorded music history.
To celebrate the original launch of the album in 1967, Spotify has compiled a list of statistics on The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper on Spotify.
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band facts
- Just over half (50.1%*) of all listeners to Sgt. Pepper on Spotify are under the age of 40
- 61% of Sgt. Pepper’s listeners are male, and 39% are female (versus overall The Beatles listening, which is 56% male, 44% female)
- There are 1,765,759 active playlists on Spotify which feature Sgt. Pepper songs
- Pepper tracks have been streamed for the equivalent of 564 years since The Beatles released their catalogue on Spotify on December 24th 2015.
Top 5 Sgt. Pepper tracks on Spotify
- Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- A Day In The Life
- With A Little Help From My Friends
- Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- When I’m Sixty Four
Top 5 cities that listen most to Sgt. Pepper
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Santiago, Chile
- Los Angeles, USA
- London, Great Britain
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
Top 5 countries that listen most to Sgt. Pepper
- Great Britain
*50.1%. We know this statistic seems implausible, but it is genuinely true!
**Sgt. Pepper was released on 26th May 1967 in the UK, and on June 2nd 1967 in the US