“Celebrating Dance and the Living Arts”
May 30, 2014
LIFTED, An Evening of Contemporary Dance, at the Sarasota Opera House on April 15 last was the first step in the exciting New Path chosen for Sarasota International Dance Festival. A renaissance of our mission statement describes the new direction:
- To present the highest level of contemporary and modern dance performances.
- To provide quality master-classes in 21st Century dance in many styles and techniques.
- To offer scholarships and to promote dance through outreach and community events celebrating our mission.
- To create Dance and the Living Arts permanent exhibition, bringing together dance, music, theatre and art, in live collaborations stimulating Dance in the 21st Century.
One important move in the rejuvenation of SIDAF was the announcement of the partnership with world-recognized Drew Jacoby from New York, a principal dancer with Europe’s major contemporary ballet company, Netherlands Dance Theater, as my co-artistic director. To learn more about Drew’s amazing career, you may visit our website. As co-artistic directors, we are dedicated to establishing the future of SIDAF, presenting a program that will include:
- The Drew Jacoby Winter Residency, a unique intensive for professional and pre-professional dancers to study with outstanding guest artists from December 27th to January 3rd, 2015 at the Sarasota Opera House, culminating in a special performance with international stars.
- In 2015 a World Premiere of “The Andy Warhol Project” inspired by sculptor-painter-musician Jack Dowd in a theatrical depiction of this unique artist who changed American culture forever.
- Special events with a Luncheon Series with notable guest speakers and media presentations.
- A new lecture Robert and You, focusing on the shared artistic partnerships with Rudolf Nureyev, Dame Ninette de Valois, Dame Gillian Lynn, Maestro Riccardo Mutti, among others.
- New course in my lecture series at Adult & Community Enrichment at the Sarasota County Technical Institute and USF Sarasota.
- Continuation of Master-Classes for young dancers in the area and virtually everywhere.
We cordially invite you to experience firsthand the pride of supporting our efforts and welcome the opportunity to share our enthusiasm. In order to keep updated, we would like to be sure that we have your current email address – simply email us at [email protected]
You have been a loyal contributor to the Sarasota International Dance Festival in the past and in the next few weeks we will send you more detailed news of exceptional future plans and a chance for you to become actively involved in our New Path. Thank you for your continued interest.
Robert de Warren –
State of Florida Special Culture Project Grant
Sarasota County Tourist Development Culture Arts Grant
William G. and Marie
P.O. Box 3862 • Sarasota, FL 34230 • (941) 954-4504 – Messages Only
Email: [email protected] • www.sarasotainternationaldancefestival.org
Drew Jacoby – Welcome !