February Nature Walks offer something for everyone
SARASOTA COUNTY – Sarasota County Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources is hosting a series of nature walks starting today and is inviting everyone to join expert staff on a variety of walks throughout the county in the month of February.
Scheduled nature walks include:
- Tuesday, Feb. 3 is the Full Moon Walk with Brooke Elias at Sleeping Turtles Preserve beginning at 6:30 p.m.
- Lemon Bay Park hosts a Sunrise Bird Walk on Wednesday, Feb. 4, 8-10 a.m.
- Looking for the Virginia Willow Nature Walk on Wednesday, Feb.4, at Curry Creek Preserve, Pinebrook Road entrance., from 9-11 a.m.
- On Thursday, Feb. 5, from 9-11 a.m. enjoy “What’s that? Plant and Animal ID” walk with Jeff Weber at Pocono Trail Preserve.
- Birding Diversity with Charlie Sample is at the Carlton Reserve on Saturday, Feb. 7, from 7:15 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Looking for Signs of Spring in the Longleaf Ecosystem is on Sundays, Feb. 8 and Feb. 15 from 2-4 p.m. at Curry Creek Preserve, Pinebrook Road entrance, with local naturalist Bill Lewis.
- An Archeological Walking Tour at Phillippi Estate Park is offered Wednesday, Feb. 11 at 11:30 a.m.
- On Feb. 13 and Feb. 27 enjoy a Walk and Learn: Fascinating Facts about Plants on the Preserve with Florida Master Naturalist Tina Sebastian at 9-11 a.m. on South Venice Lemon Bay Preserve, Kenisco Road entrance.
- Saturday, Feb. 14 at 9:30 a.m., join a biologist on a search for marine life at Lemon Bay Park at the Lemon Bay F.I.S.H. Project.
- Family Bike Adventures are at the Carlton Reserve with David Reynolds on Sunday, Feb. 15, from 10 a.m.-noon
- Learn about exotic plants at the Carlton Reserve on Tuesday, Feb. 17 and at the Jelks Preserve on Thursday, Feb. 19; both begin at 9 a.m.
- On Wednesday, Feb. 18, from 9-11 a.m., explore canopied river trails at Sleeping Turtles Preserve North on a Walk Along the Myakka River.
- Friday, Feb. 20 at 9 a.m., Land Management in an Urban Preserve at Curry Creek Preserve will examine the special challenges in sensitive natural habitats in urbanized areas.
- Enjoy a Woodland Stroll on the Pocono on Feb. 25 with Jeff Weber at 9-11 a.m.
Registration is required for all nature walks. To do so visit www.scgov.net/parks or for more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.