Sarasota County seeking advisory council volunteers
SARASOTA COUNTY – Sarasota County Government invites the public to volunteer for one of its many advisory council opportunities, including the State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) Program Affordable Housing Advisory Committee. This committee is being reactivated for 2016, and a total of 11 member positions are available.
Members of this important committee should have a connection to affordable housing and be actively engaged in one of the following areas or industries: Residential home building; banking or mortgage; construction/labor; low-income advocate; for-profit housing provider; not-for-profit housing provider; real estate professional; local planning agency member; citizen at large; business/employer representative; essential services personnel representative (as defined in the Local Housing Assistance Plan).
The purpose of the SHIP Program Affordable Housing Advisory Committee is to review established policies and procedures, ordinances, land development regulations, and recommend to the Sarasota County Commission specific actions or initiatives to encourage or facilitate affordable housing, while protecting the ability of the property to appreciate in value. Council members serve three-year terms.
The SHIP Program Affordable Housing Advisory Committee is one of more than 30 citizen advisory councils in Sarasota County, each with a specific focus in areas including economic development, the environment, libraries and health and human services. Other boards with current vacancies include the following:
- Board of Zoning Appeals (2)
- Building Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals (3)
- Development Services Advisory Committee (1 architect)
- Fire-Rescue and Emergency Medical Services Advisory Board (1 resident of Englewood Fire Control district)
- General Contractors Licensing and Examining Board (3 – architect, engineer, at large)
- Health Facilities Authority and Industrial Development Revenue Bond Citizens Advisory Committee (1)
- Historical Commission (3)
- Keep Sarasota County Beautiful Advisory Board (4)
- Mechanical Contractors Licensing and Examining Board (5 – architect, engineer, master electrician, trade alternate, at large)
- Public Facilities Financing Advisory Board (5 – 1 civic organization, 2 building/construction, 2 financial professional)
- Sarasota Tree Advisory Council (2 – development/construction/property management, landscape architect)
- Waterways Advisory Council (1)
- Well Drilling Advisory Board (1 licensed hydrogeologist/engineer)
To learn more about specific advisory board volunteer opportunities, including a list of all boards, vacancies, specific membership requirements and to submit an application, visit the Sarasota County Advisory Boards web page, where you can also learn more about the SHIP Program Affordable Housing Advisory Committee.
For more information you can also call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000 and ask about volunteer opportunities.
Sarasota County prohibits discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
View the complete policy at www.scgov.net/ADA/Pages/default.aspx.