Sarasota County seeking advisory board volunteers
Each of these technical boards is required by the County’s Code of Ordinances and has very specific membership requirements. Both are responsible for examining applications and qualifications of contractors seeking to be licensed for business in Sarasota County. They also conduct disciplinary hearings, make recommendations related to professional examinations, and perform other related functions. Both boards meet monthly and members serve three-year terms.
The General Contractors Board has 13 member positions, of which five are currently vacant: an architect; a structural or civil engineer; a general contractor; and two consumer representatives. The Mechanical Contractors Board also has 13 member positions, of which six are vacant: an architect; a mechanical or sanitary engineer; a master electrician; a trade alternate member; and two consumer representatives.
The General Contractors Licensing and Examining Board and Mechanical Contractors Licensing and Examining Board are just two of the more than 30 citizen advisory boards in Sarasota County. Each board has a specific focus in areas including economic development, the environment, libraries and health and human services.
Other boards with current vacancies include the following:
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Building Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals
- Citizens Advisory Committee for Public Transportation
- Development Services Advisory Committee
- Fire-Rescue and Emergency Medical Services Advisory Board
- Historical Commission
- Human Services Advisory Council
- Integrated Pest Management Advisory Board
- Keep Sarasota County Beautiful Advisory Board
- Metropolitan Planning Organization Citizens Advisory Committee
- Planning Commission
- Public Facilities Financing Advisory Board
- Sarasota Tree Advisory Council
- Well Drilling Advisory Board