Sarasota Count Sports Commission releases 2016 economic impact figures and climbs in international rankings
Sarasota, Fla. (Feb. 14, 2017)— The Sarasota County Sports Commission (SCSC), a division of Visit Sarasota County (VSC) had another notable year in 2016. In 2016, SCSC hosted 135 events, an increase of 20% over 2015. These events generated an economic impact of $178,565,040, increase of 23% over 2015 and generated 108,302 room nights.
“We worked hard with our regional partners within the industry in 2016 to host events that continue to elevate Sarasota’s reputation as a premiere location for all levels of sporting events,” says Robert Wells, Director of Sports for VSC. “We are looking forward to building on this success in 2017 and beyond.”
Sarasota continues to garner worldwide attention. In the 2016 Sportcal Global Sport Cities Index, Sarasota County moved up 21 spots now ranking 2nd in Florida, behind Miami; 15th in the United States and 181th in the world. Sportcal is the world’s leading provider of sports marketing intelligence based in London, England.
Top-producing events for Sarasota County in 2016 include the following:
- The 32nd Annual Sarasota Power Boat Grand Prix held on Lido Beach generated an economic impact of $37,165,654.00.
- US Soccer Nike International Friendlies held at the Premier Sports Campus generated an economic impact of $9,114,439.00.
- Venice Equestrian Tour held at Fox Lea Farms generated an economic impact of $4,476,025.00
- USA Field Hockey President’s Day Cup held at the Premier Sports Campus generated an economic impact of $4,186,452.00
- United States Australian Football League National Championships held at the Premier Sports Campus generated an economic impact of $1,523,840.00
- GameDay USA Junior All-American Games held at Ed Smith Stadium generated an economic impact of $1,209,127.00
Other notable events in FY2016 include the following:
- USRowing Olympic Trials were held at Nathan Benderson Park and broadcast on NBC Sports
- UCI BMX Grand Prix held at the Sarasota BMX track was the first big event at newly re-built track. Competitors from 21 countries came for the event.
Notable events for 2017 and beyond are as follows:
- USA Field Hockey Winter Showcase, February
- USBC Florida State Championships, May-July
- SSA BMX State Championship, May
- USRowing Youth National Championships, June
- Wilson Premier Baseball Championship East, June-July
- USA Volleyball Beach Junior National Championship, July
- 2017 World Rowing Championships, September
- USA Ultimate Club National Championships, October
- NCAA Rowing National Championship, May of 2018
- FISA Masters Regatta, September of 2018
- World Sailing Conference, November of 2018
Visit Sarasota County leads and supports the tourism industry in Sarasota County by providing the highest quality, and most innovative, marketing programs and promotions to ensure the continued growth of tourism and travel from visitors around the world. It is the mission of VSC to make Sarasota County the must experience destination on Florida’s Gulf Coast.