SARASOTA CONTEMPORARY DANCE LOOKS FORWARD TO 2017 WITH
THREE NEW BOARD MEMBERS AND A NEW DOWNTOWN STUDIO
Although SCD’s 2016 drew to a close in early December with Voices, its showcase of emerging choreographers, Sarasota Contemporary Dance is still active. The company is now looking forward to 2017 as a stronger company, as it takes on three new general board members and prepares for a move this spring into 3,000 sq. ft. of new studio, office and storage space in downtown Sarasota’s Rosemary District.
The SCD Board of Directors will expand from 5 to 8 members with the addition of Jamie Coffey, Special Assistant to the President, Ringling College of Art + Design; G. Robert McLain Jr., Attorney; and Mike Cherry Marraccini, Market Influencer at Large, Inc. (See bios below)
“As Sarasota Contemporary Dance continues to grow and thrive, we’ve taken deliberate steps to further strengthen our board,” said SCD Board President Shane Chalke. “Jamie, Rob, and Mike all add needed talents to our organization, and we’re pleased to welcome them to our wonderful dance company.”
A New Chapter for Sarasota Contemporary Dance
SCD is well into the construction phase of its permanent new Rosemary Square “home,” which includes a large state of the art dance studio as well as storage and office space. This 3,000 sq. ft. facility is on schedule to open in Spring (anticipated April or May of 2017).
“Our new studio will grant us the opportunity to expand our classes and extend our outreach to the community,” said Chalk. “Further, it will allow us to continue offering groundbreaking contemporary and classic works, and to collaborate more closely with our fellow arts organizations in the area and around the world.”
“I appreciate everyone who has been a part of this journey. We pay tribute to the joint effort from the entire SCD Family, acknowledging the many who gave their time and talent on and off the stage. This is truly a dream come true,” said Leymis Bolaños Wilmott, SCD Artistic Director.
Rosemary Square Studio/Office Details
- Private third floor, with accessible entry
- Dance studio with state of the art sound equipment, sprung flooring, and theatrical lighting allowing the studio to transform into an informal performance space
- Rehearsal space large enough to adapt performance to any theatre space
- Set, Costume, and prop storage
- Artist locker rooms, fully equipped
- Administrative office
- Outdoor multifunctional private terrace
- Prominent and convenient downtown location
- Shared space with other prominent local performing arts companies, creating a new hub for Sarasota artists and arts enthusiasts
- Shared space with fresh new local restaurants, eateries, and retail shops
According to developer Mark Kaufmann, “Rosemary Square is proud to have the Sarasota Contemporary Dance as one of our most important tenants. They bring the “Arts” to Boulevard of the Arts and add polish and class to our center.”
What It Means
“I really can’t wait. The new space is going to allow the company to function with ultimate continuity. I know that having our resources concentrated under one space–the company, the school programming, and the offices– is going to allow me to do my job better and allow SCD the foundation we need to continue thriving in our next decade.”
–Melissa Coleman Sperber, SCD Company Manager
“I have loved my children attending the Sarasota contemporary dance summer classes. They come home with new creative expressions and are always eager for the next day. Having their own dedicated space will really allow this company to share its offerings and talents with our kids. This company is made of phenomenal artists and I feel lucky that they share their talents and excitement for dance with our children.”
–Parent of ’15 & ‘16 Kids Summer Participant
“I have been a loyal patron of Sarasota Contemporary Dance (Fuzion) since its inception in 2006. It has been an exciting 10 years watching it develop into a first-rate company. And now it will finally get the first-rate studio that it deserves!” –Long-time patron
What You Can Do
SCD has also launched a capital campaign to support the new facility. “Any donation of any amount will go toward ensuring our future in our new home,” said Bolaños Wilmott. Studio Donor opportunities are available – contact Jamie Coffey at [email protected]
New Board Member Bios
- Jamie Coffey– currently serves as Special Assistant to the President of Ringling College of Art and Design. Prior to her post at Ringling, Jamie enjoyed a decade-long career in New York City, where she most recently served as Director of Alumnae Affairs and Chief of Staff to the President of Barnard College. She also managed Corporate & Foundation Grants at Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, and worked in Advancement at New York Botanical Garden. Jamie received her Master’s Degree from NYU Tisch School of the Arts, and her Bachelors from Rollins College. She is also a certified yoga teacher and teaches at Rosemary Court Yoga in downtown Sarasota.
- Rob McLain, Jr.- Rob McLain is a partner at the law firm of Metcalfe & McLain. In addition to his work with Sarasota Contemporary Dance, Mr. McLain is a founding board member and Vice President of Sarasota Academy of the Arts, a Florida charter school. Prior to his legal career, Mr. McLain taught middle school English and worked in information technology. Mr. McLain is a graduate of the University of Florida (B.A., major in Philosophy and minor in English), and George Mason University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude). He is a happily married father of three extremely active children. In his spare time, Mr. McLain practices Jiu jitsu, and writes the daddy column for Mommy Magazine.
- Mike Marraccini- Mike is a self-described “culture junkie,” community advocate, and market influencer, with 16 years of experience in market strategy. He was Marketing Director for The Sarasota Ballet for the past 7 Seasons, Always curious, he prefers to live in a world “where innovation is everywhere and artistry never fully reaches the highest peak of the highest mountain.” When not being creative, you can find Mike enjoying a good book, catching a cultural event in town, basking in the sun on the beach or entertaining his dogs–Boston Terriers. He holds a Bachelor’s of Science degree from Kent State University, and is a veteran.
Current Board members are: President, Shane A. Chalke, FSA, MAAA, BE Jazz, retired CEO Finetre Corporation; Vice President, Sam Alfstad, founder Alfstad& Productions; Treasurer, Muriel Gordon Mayers, retired dance educator, retired fiduciary accountant; Secretary, Shirley Hill Foss, retired educator; and Jack M. Shapiro, Ph.D., retired engineer
About Sarasota Contemporary Dance
Sarasota Contemporary Dance was formed in 2002 as Fuzión Dance Artists, Sarasota’s first contemporary dance company, by Co-Founders Leymis Bolaños Wilmott and Rachael Inman. Now approaching its 12th season, the company was renamed in 2015, and continues to bring dance to the community through eclectic performances and educational programming, while collaborating with artists and community groups to enrich the human experience.