The French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), New York’s premiere French cultural center, presents Bastille Day on 60th Street, New York’s biggest and liveliest French fête, on Sunday, July 13 from noon to 5pm, over a three block stretch on 60th Street.
This year’s highlights include:
· New! In their 40th anniversary year, Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco (Monaco Boys Choir) presents a historic Bastille Day concert.
· New! French chanteuse Domitille and Amaury de Crayencour bring to life the magic and joie of Paris with an enchanting performance of classic French songs.
· Delightful performances from our gorgeous can-can dancers, the jubilant Hungry March Band, and more!
· New! Enjoy a selection of 25 delectable wines at the Grand Vins Tour de France, led by New York’s top sommeliers and wine experts!
· Wine, Cheese, Cocktails, and Beer Tasting! Sip delightful French wines from the glorious Beaujolais region!
The best in French cuisine!
· A feast of French delicacies from Dominique Ansel Bakery (inventor of the “cronut”), François Payard Bakery, Épicerie Boulud, DBGB Kitchen and Bar, Financier Pâtisserie, and more!
Fabulous prize drawing, free family activities, French workshops, and more!
Media Contact: Natascha Bodemann | 646 388 6677 | [email protected]
French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF)
Bastille Day on 60th Street
A Three-Block Festival Celebrating
the Best of France in New York
Sunday, July 13, 2014
Noon to 5pm
East 60th Street, from Fifth to Lexington Avenues
Rain or Shine!
New York, New York, June 25, 2014—The French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), New York’s premiere French cultural center, is thrilled to announce the festivities planned for Bastille Day on 60th Street, New York’s biggest and liveliest French fête, on Sunday, July 13, from noon to 5pm. This year for the first time, FIAF presents the new Grands Vins Tour de France, a special Bastille Day edition of its acclaimed Wine Tour de France tasting series, and welcomes Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco (Monaco Boys Choir) for a historic 40th anniversary concert.
For over 15 years, Bastille Day on 60th Street has been New York’s largest public celebration of the friendship between France and the United States, with over 40,000 visitors in 2013. FIAF’s popular annual street fair celebrates France’s Independence Day, commemorating the storming of the Bastille and the dawn of the modern French nation. Bastille Day on 60th Street recreates the ambiance of a fête populaire, inviting New Yorkers to revel in the flavors, sounds and joie de vivre of France!
Spanning three city blocks, between Fifth Avenue and Lexington Avenue on East 60th Street, Bastille Day abounds with French cuisine, musique, and myriad attractions for the whole family. For five hours, the street is closed to traffic and dedicated to Franco-American celebrations.
Bastille Day on 60th Street reteams with Beaujolais again this year to celebrate the wines of the glorious Beaujolais region with a special tasting, along with a prize drawing featuring trips to France, Saint Barts, and New Orleans!
· New! Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco
In their 40th anniversary year, Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco (Monaco Boys Choir) will return to the United States this July. FIAF is delighted to welcome Monaco’s “little singing ambassadors” to Bastille Day’s Main Stage! Founded in 1974 by Prince Rainier III, and now under the high patronage of H.S.H. Prince Albert II, Monaco Cathedral’s official children’s choir has performed in more than 40 nations around the world. Under the musical direction of Pierre Debat, their repertoire includes sacred works, French and Monégasque folk songs, and a range of songs in English.
For more information, visit monacoconsulate.populr.me/monacoboyschoir.
· New! Domitille: Ballades enfantines
The magic and joie of Paris come to life in this giddily enchanting performance of classic French songs, including the works of Jacques Prévert, Henry Salvador, and Charles Trénet, performed by chanteuse Domitille and Amaury de Crayencour. Their jazzy-swing musical universe will captivate children and parents alike with catchy lyrics and timeless style. Performance is sponsored by Jacadi.
· Back by popular demand, admire the charm (and legs!) of our gorgeous can-can dancers! The jubilant Hungry March Band also returns to serenade New Yorkers, with scores and original compositions inspired by New Orleans street bands, European brass traditions, Gypsy/Roma classics, wedding brass bands from India, the jazz world, and the global community of New York.
· New! Grands Vins Tour de France
FIAF, Le Skyroom
Presented at Bastille Day for the first time this year, FIAF’s Grands Vins Tour de Francetasting offers a selection of 25 delectable red and white wines, champagne, and rosé from Xavier Flouret, Piper Heidsieck, Wines of Alsace, Millesima, Metrowine Distribution, Pommery, and Ayala, among others. The tasting will be led by New York’s top sommeliers and wine experts, including Paul Altuna of Le Cirque; Hortense Bernard, General Manager of Millesima USA; Arnaud Tronche of Racines NY; and Marie Vayron of Le Colonial. Guests will be able to enjoy savory hors d’oeuvres created by Le Cirque’s two-Michelin-star Chef Raphael François, as well as delicious French cheeses from Président Specialty Cheeses.
Tickets: FIAF Members $95; Non-Members $115
Tickets available for purchase online at bastilledayny.com.
Must be 21 or over to attend.
- Wine, Cheese, Cocktails, and Beer Tasting
FIAF, Tinker Auditorium
A fan favorite, the popular tasting in Tinker Auditorium returns with an even greater selection of fine French delicacies! Sip delightful wines from Beaujolais featuring the region’s 12 appellations, including the 10 celebrated crus, accompanied by an array of delicious French cheeses from Président Specialty Cheeses. Also discover refreshing French summer cocktails created with Ricard, the anise-flavored pastis from Marseille, as well as beer from Jenlain, Pietra, and Kronenbourg.
Tickets for sale at the Information & Ticket Sales Booths on day of event.
Must be 21 or over to attend.
The Best of French Cuisine!
· New York’s greatest French culinary establishments offer up a feast of delicacies à la française! Top-rated restaurants and bakeries include Dominique Ansel Bakery (inventor of the cronut, New York’s French-American culinary sensation), François Payard Bakery, Épicerie Boulud, DBGB Kitchen and Bar, Financier Patisserie, Mille-Feuille Bakery Café, Macaron Café, and Mad Mac, among others. Sample delicious crêpes, canelés, and macarons at delightful pique-nique tables.
Fabulous Prize Drawing!
· Enter to win a Grand Prize trip to France courtesy of Pierre & Vacances, and Air France and Delta Air Lines, the official airlines of FIAF; Premier Prize getaways to Saint Barts and New Orleans with airline tickets courtesy of Altour; and drawings throughout the day for additional prizes.
Tickets for sale online at bastilledayny.com, and at the Information & Ticket Sales Booths on day of event.
· Kids’ Corner & FIAF “Pop-Up” Library! Kids can enjoy French-inspired games and arts-and-crafts, all organized by FIAF’s Language Center. FIAF’s “Pop-Up” Library offers French books and story time.
· Street Entertainment! Kids and their families can discover classic Citroën cars.
· Free French Workshops! Brush up on your French with complimentary 30-minute workshops offered throughout the day.
Located north of Lyon in eastern France, the picturesque Beaujolais vineyards run along the Saône River, where winemakers have crafted deliciously refreshing wines since the days of ancient Rome. While Beaujolais does produce a small amount of whites and rosés, the region is best known for its versatile reds. Lighter in body than most, Beaujolais reds taste great when chilled, making them as popular in the warmer months as they are during the winter. discoverbeaujolais.com
Discover Beaujolais is the Presenting Sponsor of Bastille Day on 60th Street.
Lead sponsorship for Bastille Day on 60th Street is provided by Air France and Delta Air Lines, the official airlines of FIAF.
Bastille Day on 60th Street is made possible with the generous support of Maille; Ricard; TV5MONDE; Financier Patisserie; and The Monaco Government Tourist Office. Additional support provided by Président Specialty Cheeses and Volvic.
Special thanks to our media partners France-Amérique and French Morning.
FIAF’s mission is to create and offer New Yorkers innovative and unique programs in education and the arts that explore the evolving diversity and richness of French cultures. FIAF seeks to generate new ideas and promote cross-cultural dialogue through partnerships and new platforms of expression. www.fiaf.org.
Bastille Day on 60th Street
Sunday, July 13, 2014 from 12–5pm
East 60th Street, from Fifth to Lexington Avenue
Free and open to the public
| 212 355 6100 (FIAF)
Subway – 4, 5, 6 to 59th Street; N, R and Q to 5th Avenue; E to 53rd Street & 5th Ave.
Bus – M1, M2, M3, M4, Q31 to 59th Street; M5 to 58th Street.