Sunday, June 14, 2015 l Game # 63
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Oho l 2:00 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Beloit Snappers (25-37) at Dayton Dragons (32-30)
RH Joey Wagman (2-0, 1.26) vs. RH Tyler Mahle (5-4, 3.00)
Click here for the full Dragons Press Box Notes
Click here for the full Dragons Press Box Stats
Today’s Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Beloit Snappers (affiliate of the Oakland Athletics) in the second game of a three-game series. This is game five of a six-game homestand for Dayton.
Last Game: Dayton 6, Beloit 0. Highlights: For the first time in franchise history, three consecutive Dayton batters hit home runs when Jose Ortiz (2-run HR), Jimmy Pickens, and Luis Gonzalez belted homers over a span of four pitches. Starting pitcher Seth Varner went seven shutout innings for the win, allowing just four singles and no walks with seven strikeouts. Gonzalez and Brian O’Grady each had three hits for Dayton.
Today’s Dragons Starting Pitcher: 2015 Midwest League All-Star Tyler Mahle is a 20-year-old native of Westminster, California. Mahle was the Reds seventh round draft pick in 2013 out of high school. Last start: Monday at Kane County: Loss, 4 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO. Mahle Notes: Entering his last start, he had allowed just three runs over the previous five starts combined covering 33.1 innings with 3 BB and 35 SO (0.81 ERA).
- Gavin LaValley has hit safely in 14 straight games, batting .426 over the hitting streak to raise his average from .212 to .267. He is batting .500 over his last eight games. During the 14-game hitting streak, he has 15 singles, seven doubles, one triple, and nine RBI.
- Jimmy Pickens is batting .361 over his last 10 games to raise his average from .201 to .235.
- Ronald Bueno is batting .317 over his last 10 games to raise his average from .237 to .259.
- Luis Gonzalez is batting .353 with 9 RBI over his last eight games to raise his average from .259 to .272.
- Brian O’Grady is 5 for 6 with two home runs, a double, two singles, and a walk over his last two games.
- Brennan Bernardino over his last 11 outings: 17.2 IP, 3 R, 0 ER, 6 BB, 15 SO. He has lowered his ERA to 1.17.
- The Dragons pitched a six-hit shutout last night after allowing 7.2 runs/game and 12.7 hits/game over the previous six games.
- The Dragons are 25-4 when allowing three runs or less; 7-26 when allowing four runs or more.
- The Dragons are 10-0 at home this season when scoring the first run of the game.
- The Dragons are 22-9 when allowing no unearned runs; 6-5 when allowing one unearned run; 4-16 when allowing two or more unearned runs.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Monday, June 15 (7:00 p.m.): Beloit RH Heath Fillmyer (-0-6, 7.15) at Dayton RH Wyatt Strahan (4-4, 2.90)
Tuesday, June 16 (7:05 p.m.): Dayton LH Junior Morillo (1-1, 5.40) at South Bend RH Zach Hedges (2-4, 4.64)
Wednesday, June 17 (7:05 p.m.): Dayton RH Tejay Antone (3-6, 2.75) at South Bend RH Trevor Clifton (2-5, 4.67)
Thursday, June 18 (7:05 p.m.): Dayton LH Seth Varner at South Bend RH Jake Stinnett (2-2, 6.02)