Monday, June 8, 2015 l Game # 58
Fifth Third Bank Ballpark l Geneva, Ill. l 7:30 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Dayton Dragons (30-27) at Kane County Cougars (29-28)
RH Tyler Mahle (5-3, 2.63) vs. RH Ethan Elias (5-2, 2.08)
Click here for the full Dragons Press Box Notes
Today’s Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Kane County Cougars (affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks) in the last game of a three-game series. This is game six of a six-game road trip for the Dragons.
The Race: The Dragons are in fourth place in the East Division. They are one-half game behind third place Great Lakes; two games behind second place Bowling Green; and three games behind first place Lansing. The top two finishers qualify for playoffs in September. There are 13 games to play in the first half race. The Dragons lose the tie-breaker vs. Lansing and Bowling Green.
Today’s Dragons Starting Pitcher: 2015 Midwest League All-Star Tyler Mahle is a 20-year-old native of Westminster, California. Mahle was the Reds seventh round draft pick in 2013 out of high school. He planned to attend UC Santa Barbara before coming to terms with the Reds. He went 5-4 with a 3.87 ERA in 2014 at Billings and was selected as a Pioneer League Full-Season All-Star. Last start: Wednesday at Clinton: Win, 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO. Mahle Notes: Has allowed just three runs over his last five starts combined covering 33.1 innings with 3 BB and 35 SO (0.81 ERA).
- Gavin LaValley has hit safely in 11 straight games, batting .419 over the hitting streak to raise his average from .212 to .256. He is 11 for 21 (.524) in the five games on the road trip. During the 11-game hitting streak, he has 12 singles, five doubles, one triple, and seven RBI.
- Ronald Bueno has hit safely in five straight games, going 9 for 22, .409.
- Jimmy Pickens has hit safely in five straight games, going 7 for 20, .350.
- The Dragons are 3-2 on the current 6-game road trip. They are batting .301 on the trip and are averaging 7.8 runs per game, but they have allowed 7 or more runs in three straight games for the first time this season.
- The Dragons are 20-8 when allowing no unearned runs; 6-5 when allowing one unearned run; 4-14 when allowing two or more unearned runs.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Tuesday, June 9: Off Day
Wednesday, June 10 (7:00 p.m.): Wisconsin RH Angel Ventura (1-2, 2.50) or LH Luis Ortega (1-5, 4.80) at Dayton RH Wyatt Strahan (4-4, 2.73)
Thursday, June 11 (7:07 p.m.): Wisconsin RH Devin Williams (1-3, 4.64) at Dayton LH Junior Morillo (1-0, 1.80) TV: WHIO 7.2 (TWC 23, 372)
Friday, June 12 (7:07 p.m.): Wisconsin RH Cy Sneed (2-7, 2.52) at Dayton RH Tejay Antone (3-5, 2.87) TV: WHIO 7.2 (TWC 23, 372)