Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents
March 5 and 6 • Historic Asolo Theater
This vibrant trio of finely honed young musicians brings its vision, fierce integrity, sophistication, and crackling enthusiasm to the Historic Asolo Theater.
“Trio Céleste is one of the best young chamber groups around today. This group has that almost magical spark.” – Philip Setzer- Violinist, Emerson String Quartet
(Sarasota, Florida) Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 20th anniversary Recital Series continues with Trio Céleste, March 5, 7:30 p.m., and March 6, 7:30 p.m., at the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. Hailed as one of the best young chamber groups around today, violinist Iryna Krechkovsky, cellist Ross Gasworth, and pianist Kevin Kwan Loucks combine to form an “exciting, dynamic and intelligent ensemble.” The Trio’s program will include Dvořák’s Piano Trio No. 4 in E Minor, Schoenfield’s “Café Music,” and Beethoven’s Piano Trio No. 7 in B-flat Major, “Archduke.” Ticket prices range from $25 to $45 and are available at 941-360-7399 or www.artistseriesconcerts.org. Student tickets available at the door.
Hailed by critics as “a first-class ensemble,” and as “one of the best young chamber groups around today,” the “exuberant and technically dazzling” Trio Céleste has quickly established itself as one of the most dynamic chamber music ensembles in the country. Winner of the prestigious Beverly Hills Auditions in Los Angeles, the Trio is currently ensemble-in-residence at the Claire Trevor School of the Arts at the University of California, Irvine, where it recently presented the complete piano trio works of Ludwig van Beethoven and the Triple Concerto with the UC Irvine Symphony Orchestra.
Iryna Krechkovsky is a prize-winning violinist with an international career in solo, chamber, and orchestral performances. Celebrated for her tone, musicality and precision, she has performed in such prestigious concert venues as Stern Auditorium at Carnegie Hall and Alice Tully Hall in New York City. Critics have praised cellist Ross Gasworth’s playing as “gorgeous, warm and generous.” Gasworth has performed alongside principal players from the Vienna and Berlin Philharmonics, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. Pianist Kevin Kwan Loucks has been described as “impeccable,” “a shining talent,” and as “a pianist of exhilarating polish, unity and engagement.” In 2015, OC Weekly named him one of Orange County, California’s most influential people. He has received standing ovations at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall, and at Lichtenstein Palace in Prague.
Since 1996, Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota has presented an ever-expanding annual season of concerts by globally renowned and celebrated emerging artists. The 20th-anniversary season includes six concerts in its “Classical Recital Series,” five concerts in its “Pop Series,” four concerts in its “Special Performances” series, three “Soiree Series” concerts, three “Lunch, Look and Listen” concerts and three concerts in its North Port Performing Arts series. Many of the concerts are presented in multiple performances.
For more information about the Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 2015-2016 season, visit www.artistseriesconcerts.org or call 941-306-1202.
The 2015-2016 Season at a Glance
Classical Recital Series
Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. Tickets at 941-360-7399 or www.artistseriesconcerts.org.
- Amit Peled is an Israeli-American cellist and virtuoso called a “larger than life presence on stage” (The Washington Post). Peled, a musician of profound artistry and charismatic stage presence, is known as one of the most exciting instrumentalists on the concert stage today. At 6’5″ tall (he was once a basketball player), Peled often surprises audiences with the ways he breaks down barriers between performers and the public, making classical music more accessible to wider audiences. April 9, 7:30 p.m., and April 10, 7:30 p.m.
- 20th Year Retrospective Celebration: As a close to the 20th anniversary season, Artist Series Concerts is bringing back favorites from past years. The performers that Sarasota audiences have loved before will be here again to entertain, celebrate and inspire. May 28 and 29, 7:30 p.m.
At the Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. Tickets at 941-360-7399 or www.artistseriesconcerts.org.
- QuinTango, a touring quintet of two violins, cello, bass and piano, brings a century’s worth of tango repertoire to the concert stage with sizzling musicality and captivating narrative style. Winner of two consecutive WAMMIES, QuinTango is the only tango music group to have given a command performance at The White House. QuinTango has been heard on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” CNN, and network television in both the United States and Costa Rica. When QuinTango made its debut at Charleston’s Piccolo Festival, critic Robert Jones wrote exuberantly that “their concerts packed the place and sent the customers home tango crazy.” April 30, 7:30 p.m., and May 1, 2:00 and 7:30 p.m.
- “My Favorite Things,” Music of Rodgers & Hammerstein, featuring acclaimed soloists Mara Bonde, soprano, Katherine Pracht, mezzo soprano, Aaron Blake, tenor, Marcus DeLoach, baritone, and the Gloria Musicae Singers: May 7:30 p.m., and May 8, 2:00 and 7:30 p.m.
Lunch, Look and Listen
One-hour concerts at 11 a.m. followed by lunch at 12:15 p.m. At Michael’s On East Ballroom, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota. Tickets at 941-306-1202.
- Miami Guitar Trio: February 18.
- Gulfshore Trio: Reiko Niiya, violin; Susannah Kelly, cello; William Dawson, piano: March 17.
Sunday afternoons at 2:00 p.m. and Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. At the Weisenborne/Fischer residence. Call for address. Tickets at 941-306-1202.
- Bob McDonald singing songs made famous by Broadway leading man John Raitt: March 27 & 28.
North Port Performing Arts Center Series
Sunday afternoons at 3:00 p.m. At the North Port Performing Arts Center, 6400 W. Price Blvd., North Port. Tickets at 941-306-1202.
- Dick Hyman in Concert. A solo performance by the legendary Emmy Award-winning pianist and composer, renowned for his 50-year career as one of America’s most prolific and versatile jazz musicians: February 21.
- “My Favorite Things: The Music of Rogers and Hammerstein.” Featuring the Qol Quartet, (Johanna Fincher, Robyn Rocklein, Adam Bielamowicz, and Christopher Holloway), and the Gloria Musicae Singers, directed by Joseph Holt: March 6.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 as the Artist Series of Sarasota. The group is a non-profit corporation based in Sarasota, FL, that prides itself on presenting several major national and international varieties of concert, opera, orchestral, Broadway and film performances throughout their season. The majority of the performances are staged at the restored Historic Asolo Theater at The Ringling.
Photos courtesy of the artists.