March 13, 2014
Donna Fisk • 941-306-1202 § [email protected]
Su Byron § [email protected]
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota Presents
Alexander Schimpf in “88-Key Salute”
April 12 and 13 • Historic Asolo Theater
The young German pianist is quickly achieving critical acclaim in the classical music world.
(Sarasota, Florida) Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota presents pianist Alexander Schimpf in “88-Key Salute,” Saturday, April 12, 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, April 13, 7:30 p.m.,at the Historic Asolo Theater, 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota. The program will include Bach’s “Toccata in E minor, BWV 914”, Brahms’ “Piano Pieces, Op. 119,”Debussy’s “L’isle Joyeuse,” and selections from Kapustin’s “Preludes in Jazz Style.” Tickets are $25 to $45 and can be purchased online at www.artistseriesconcerts.org or by calling 941-360-7399.
Alexander Schimpf’s rise to prominence began after winning a series of elite piano competitions, including the 2008 German Music Competition, the 2009 International Beethoven Competition in Vienna, and the Mixon First Prize at the 2011 Cleveland International Piano Competition. Since winning these notable awards, Schimpf, who was born in Germany in 1981, has performed with symphony orchestras and in solo recitals around the world. In 2013, he was presented with the Bavarian State Award for the Advancement of the Arts.
Since 1996, Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota has presented an ever-expanding annual season of concerts by globally renowned and celebrated emerging artists. The 2013-2014 season runs through June 2014 and includes six concerts in its “Classical Recital Series,” four concerts in its “Pop Series,” one concert in its “Soiree Series” and five special concerts. Three “Lunch, Look and Listen” events are also scheduled. For more information about the Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota’s 2013-2014 season, visit www.artistseriesconcerts.org or call 941-306-1202. For information about group and student discounts, call 941-306-1202.
The 2013-2014 Season at a Glance
2013-2014 Classical Recital Series
· “Opera and More!” with Jeffrey Hill, tenor, Richard Ollarsaba, bass-baritone, and Sylvia Eckes, piano, performingsolos and duets from operas, including Carmen, Baby Doe, La Boheme, and The Pearl Fishers. May 31 and June 1, 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
2013-2014 Pop Series
· “You Made Me Love You” with Jennifer Sheehan, cabaret/theater singer with James Followell, piano, celebrating 100 years of the Great American Songbook and including songs by Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein, Jule Stein, Betty Comden and Adolph Green, Stephen Sondheim, Henry Mancini, Barry Manilow, Johnny Mercer, Alan and Marilyn Bergman, and more. March 15, 7:30 p.m., and March 16 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
· “The Merry Widow” with Susana Diaz, soprano, Lindsay Russell, soprano, Gregory Schmidt, tenor, Andrew Garland, baritone, Joseph Holt, piano, and the Gloria Musicae Singers performing highlights from Franz Lehar’s masterpiece operetta. May 10, 7:30 p.m., and May 11 at 2:00 and 7:30 p.m. At Historic Asolo Theater; 5401 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota.
2013-2014 Special Events
· 2014 Scholarship Competition. Artist Series Concerts will be presenting over $22,000 in awards to the most promising young pianists in Florida.March 29, 10:00 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. At Neel Performing Arts Center 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton.
2013-2014 Soiree Series
· Jason Stearns, baritone,with Lee Dougherty Ross, piano, performing Broadway favorites, including favorites from “Carousel” and “Kiss Me Kate” the “Toreador Song” from Bizet’s “Carmen,” and “The Desert Song” from Romberg’s operetta. April 20, 2:00 p.m.; April 21, 7:30 p.m. At the Weisenborne/Fischer residence.
2013-2014 Lunch, Look and Listen
· Featuring Leo Adamov and Eliot Lawson, violin duo, performing works by Prokofiev, De Beriot, and Wieniawski. March 20, 11 a.m., performance; 12:15 p.m., luncheon. At Michael’s On East, 1212 East Avenue South, Sarasota.
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota
Artist Series Concerts of Sarasota was formed in 1996 as the Artist Series of Sarasota. The group is a non-profit corporation based in Sarasota, FL, that prides itself on presenting several major national and international varieties of concert, opera, orchestral, Broadway and film performances throughout their season. The majority of the performances are staged at the restored Historic Asolo Theater at The Ringling.